TPG Community

Get online support

TPG TPLINK AC1200 Orange Light frequently pops up - When I log my laptop into Work Network

moopie12
Level 2

Hi,

Orange light seems to coincidentally activate almost everytime I log into my VPN network to access work data etc. 

Is it possible that as my laptop or network is not a trusted source that this is happening?

Any advice how I can fix this, it justloses connection wit hthe internet at home, so I have to hotspot my phone in order for it to work.

Please help!

Shane

3 REPLIES 3
PeterW

Hi Shane.

Thanks for your message and for being a part of the TPG community.

I think I understand what you are asking regarding the orange light and VPN's.

Basically when you use a VPN to connect to your work network via your home Internet connection your work network securely creates a link (or tunnel) between your computer and your works network servers so those servers cannot be hacked or compromised.

Whilst you have a connection to your office, you don't have Internet access at home hence the orange light.

Other devices on your home network are working as normal, it's just the computer you have connected to work that has restrictions.

I am doing this as I write this response, my laptop is using my broadband connection to connect to TPG using a VPN but it is not connected to my home network whereas my iPad sitting next to me is, same connection, different network.

If you click the upward arrow on the bottom right hand corner of your screen then hover your mouse over the computer screen icon you should see your work network connected but no access to your home network.

When you disconnect from your work VPN your PC will reconnect to your home network.

I hope that makes sense.

Regards

PeterW 

moopie12
Level 2

Thanks Peter, I think I understand,

Unfortunately this morning I am using my laptop normally and the internet is very patchy, whenI went to check the modem the orange light switches on then back to normal in frequent intervals, say 5 minutes apart. I am not using any VPN now, just looking up news feeds and youtube on the internet.

This has been an issue we have experienced often over the past 3-4 months. I am sure it would not have any link to the weather, however we do experience infrequent dropouts whenthe weather is ordinary.

Are you able to check and confirm our settings? I cannot even log into the modem IP address.....

Thanks,

Shane

PeterW

Hello Shane,
Thank you for your reply, for verification purposes can you please send me a private message (PM) by clicking on my name and provide the following information:
 Username
 Full Name
 Full Address
 D.O.B.
I will reply ASAP on receipt of the above.
Regards
PeterW
My TPG app for IOS and Android - https://www.tpg.com.au/download