TPG Community

Get online support

The NBN HFC order halt & what it means for you

Manuel
Community Manager

NBN Co has announced that from 7:00pm on 2 February 2021, it will not be accepting some orders for NBN hybrid fibre co-axial (HFC) services.

This is due to a global equipment shortage impacting NBN Co’s supply of NBN connection boxes needed to install NBN Hybrid Fibre-Coaxial (HFC) services.

From 3 February onwards, you can check your address at https://www.nbnco.com.au/check to see if you are impacted by the equipment shortage.

Please be assured that TPG is working closely with NBN and will provide further information once it comes to hand. We apologise for any inconvenience caused.

We’ve put together some FAQs to help our Community understand any impact this announcement has for you.

I’m about to move into a new property that has HFC – will I be able to connect?

Yes, provided the premises has been connected to the NBN network previously. However, if your premises are connecting to the NBN network for the first time and we don’t have an order in our system before 2 February 2021, the order cannot be placed.

If you wish to order an NBN HFC service from TPG (i.e. new customer signups, existing customers changing plan from TPG DSL to TPG NBN HFC, or existing customers moving home to an NBN HFC location):

While NBN Co is pausing HFC orders, TPG will continue to accept pre-orders which will be processed for installation once NBN Co resumes accepting NBN HFC orders.

How long will the HFC order halt be in place?

NBN Co has not provided an estimated resolution date, however we will endeavour to provide more information as soon as it becomes available.

If you have already ordered an NBN HFC service from TPG prior to 2 February:

What happens if I withdraw my TPG NBN HFC order, can TPG resubmit my order again?

• If you have an NBN HFC order at a premise where no NBN service has been connected previously, and decide to withdraw it, TPG will not be able to resubmit it to NBN. However, TPG will be able to accept your order as a pre-order.

If you already have an active/connected NBN HFC service with TPG: 

• There is no impact on your active/connected service as a result of the NBN HFC order halt.
  • You will still be able to upgrade or downgrade the speed plan of your TPG NBN HFC service as usual.

If you are in an NBN HFC designated area which is planned for copper disconnection (i.e. you have been notified that the legacy copper broadband and landline services will be disconnected on a specific date): 

• No copper disconnections will occur in areas where NBN Co will stop accepting NBN HFC orders.
  • If you had previously been notified about an upcoming copper disconnection at your location, TPG will be contacting you soon to explain the copper disconnection date will be delayed as a result of the NBN HFC order halt.
4 REPLIES 4
garycanof
Level 2
Is this whymy new nbn connection FTTN delayed. I was notified by sms of install date being 9/2/22, NBN failed to attend. Just received sms new install date 29/3/21. Is this the norm and should I be my monthly TPG fee if the service is not provided
Shane

Hi @garycanof,

Welcome to the community!

Thanks for raising this to us, we're sad to know that the installation schedule of your NBN FTTN was rescheduled. Only NBN-HFC is affected with the the equipment shortage that caused installation delays. To better understand the progress of the installation, shoot me a private message with your account details (Username/Customer ID together with the address on file). 

How do I private message (PM) in the community

Regards,

Is this whymy new nbn connection FTTN delayed. I was notified by sms of install date being 9/2/22, NBN failed to attend. Just received sms new install date 29/3/21. Is this the norm and should I be my monthly TPG fee if the service is not provided
jhbintro
Level 2

We've been waiting since February for internet at our new property. We currently have no available alternative options as all services have been discontinued in our area.

We were told in February that it would take up to 3 months, although we are past that time frame now. Is there any update on when HFC parts are going to be available for installation in Australia?

Riezl

Hi @jhbintro, please send us a private message with your TPG customer ID, username and complete address so we can take a look at your account. To send a PM, please refer to this link: How do I private message (PM) in the community