TPG Community

Get online support

UNSOLICITED firmware update

david64
Level 15

I want to know why my VR1600 firmware was updated this morning without being asked. The moderators say this only happens when a user asks for it. This is the second time this has happened with no notice. Soon after moving to NBN in December 2020, the firmware was updated without being asked.

New version:  Firmware Version:0.1.0 0.9.1 v5006.0 Build 220518 Rel.32480n 

Also, I ran the TPG speed test and it says I am on a iiNet ip address not TPG. Why is that?

6 REPLIES 6
Rica_R

Hi @david64,

Thanks for raising this matter with us. Firmware updates are still by request from customers.

I'll coordinate this with our Network Team and revert to you once we receive an update. 

david64
Level 15

@Rica_R . Any update on why my router's firmware was updated without being asked?

The moderators say that iiNet and TPG have separate management teams, but just how separated or unseparated are the two networks? The TPG speed test thinks I am on iiNet.

Or, is TPG Telecom shuffling ip address ranges between the two networks without advising our Regional Internet Registry (APNIC)?

BasilDV

Hi @david64

We are still waiting for the update from our Access Engineers.

A follow up has been sent and will provide updates once available.

BasilDV

BasilDV

Hi @david64

Our Access Engineers have pushed a firmware upgrade to the modem. They performed a firmware upgrade when it's required for the continual optimal management and functions of our CPE.

BasilDV

david64
Level 15

@BasilDV . The other part of my original post was why the TPG speedtest shows my ip address as iiNet instead of TPG.

The tpg.com.au and iinet.net.au domains are both owned by TPG Telecom (ASN 7545); the two networks should be logically separated, if not physically separated.

Are the access engineers in the process of upgrading the other several hundred thousand VR1600 in the netowrk?

Shane

Hi @david64,

Yes, all the other TP Supplied VR1600 should receive the firmware update automatically. On the other hand we are still awaiting updates from our Network Engineers with the iiNET domain that shows on the speed test result.

Regards,

@BasilDV . The other part of my original post was why the TPG speedtest shows my ip address as iiNet instead of TPG.

The tpg.com.au and iinet.net.au domains are both owned by TPG Telecom (ASN 7545); the two networks should be logically separated, if not physically separated.

Are the access engineers in the process of upgrading the other several hundred thousand VR1600 in the netowrk?