TPG Community

Get online support

Unable to add TPG Email Account to Microsoft Outlook On Android

SOLVED Go to solution
mmagro02
Level 2

Hi.

I have not been able to add my TPG email account to MS Outlook on my Android phone. I have had not any trouble adding other email accounts to the phone (Hotmail, MS Exchange, Gmail).

I have read that the issue may be that TPG uses POP accounts and that MS won't allow the adding of these type of accounts to Outlook for security reasons.

If anyone has a solution, please let me know...

Cheers.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
johnr1960
Level 2
Thank you, I have been stuffing around for ages trying to fix this, and the port numbers 995 465 did the trick, all working nicely now, thanks again 🤗

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
orbistat
Level 8

Hi @mmagro02 there's a mail server issue so it's probably nothing on your end, I also was having difficulty getting my wife's email to work on both outlook on a PC and an iPad, I've confirmed there's a server issue with support, give it time and I'm sure It will be resolved.

mmagro02
Level 2

Thanks Orbistat.

It's been happening since I changed to Android from my Windows phone - over 4 months...

I have tried many and varied attempts to connect.

But have been able to connect to TPG whilst using the default Samsung mail app on the same phone with no issues?

orbistat
Level 8

Hi @mmagro02 are you selecting the type as POP3 ? The login username should be your username only without the "@tpg.com.au"

mmagro02
Level 2

Hi again.

There is no POP3 option to create an account, only IMAP, Outlook, Office 365, Google and Yahoo. As I have read in the Outlook Q&A help section:

"Does your app support POP accounts?

Currently, we do not support POP or POP3 accounts. 

POP and POP3 have many limitations, such as the amount of time received mail remains on the server before being deleted and the ability to retrieve sent mail or sync changes in your mailbox on multiple devices.

We recommend users of POP or POP3 consider signing up for a free Outlook.com account and migrating their email to the service so that they can take advantage of the improved features."

So, I think it’s up to TPG to reconfigure their email system to work properly with Outlook, as they are the odd one out in this case.

BasilDV

Good day @mmagro02,

Welcome to TPG Community!

Currently, the email account that comes with your TPG broadband account is set as a POP3 only. If you would like an IMAP email account, you have an option to sign up for our Email only account.

You may refer to the IMAP account link.

Kind regards,

orbistat
Level 8

Hi @mmagro02 Where did you read this?

Spoiler

"Does your app support POP accounts?

Currently, we do not support POP or POP3 accounts. 

POP and POP3 have many limitations, such as the amount of time received mail remains on the server before being deleted and the ability to retrieve sent mail or sync changes in your mailbox on multiple devices.

We recommend users of POP or POP3 consider signing up for a free Outlook.com account and migrating their email to the service so that they can take advantage of the improved features."

Outlook most definately supports POP3 accounts, I'm running a main TPG and 2 slave TPG POP3 email accounts on Outlook 2010 and Outlook 2007

mmagro02
Level 2

Hi Orbistat.

Straight from the Outlook App on my Android phone (Samsung S8). Tapped the question mark above the settings icon.

Help & Feedback/Help/FAQs. Then searched for POP. First result was "Does your app support POP accounts?".

It looks like you may think I have a problem with Outlook 2016 on my pc, which I don't.

PS. Please see my reply to Basil.

mmagro02
Level 2

Hi Basil.

So your saying that TPG make's their already paying ($100/month in my case) clients pay $40/month extra for an IMAP email account which most other isp's or Hotmail/Gmail supply for free?

I don't think that can be justified, do you?

Regards.

orbistat
Level 8

Hi @mmagro02 Your problem is with Outlook on Android not being backwards compatible with POP3 protocol, POP3 and IMAP have different attributes for and against, if you really need IMAP and I fail to see in what situation it is an absolute must have, then it may be worth the $40 per "year" not per month as you've written.