TPG Community

Get online support

Upload on gmail extremely slow (with error at times)

HB1
Level 2
Level 2

Hi,

I've been using TPG for a while now. Download speeds are fine, no problem with that. However, whenever I try to put an attachment onto Gmail, it takes a very long time (with most of the time resulting in an error). Generally uploading even to Google Drive or pictures to Facebook, I get the same issue.

I notice this only started after my TPG modem started malfunctioning, which resulted in me getting a new D-Link Modem.

Could you please advise me how to get my uploading speeds back to normal, as I need to work from home quite regularly going forward.

Pretty sure it is not a computer or browser issue, as my work laptop has the same issue at home, but when I'm at the office, things work perfectly.

Speed test below:

http://tpg.speedtestcustom.com/result/b698c870-6c24-11ea-8a2d-9f07eda33951

Kind regards,

HB1

8 REPLIES 8
david64
Level 15

Are you on ADSL? This is typical of ADSL. Max speeds are 24M down, 1M up. Your speed would be for moderate distance from the exchange (further away the slower). You could log on to your router and check what speed you have on the physical connection between your router and exchange. This speed will be a bit bigger. There might be some line condition that is reducing your speed a bit. TPG have to check.

Your work network probably uses 100M or 1000M ethernet throughout and their connection to the internet will be higher speed in both directions.

HB1
Level 2
Level 2

I have a feeling it could be more related to my modem than the actual line connection.

Back when I used to use 256kbps connection (almost 10 years ago), it used to upload way faster than this and didn't use to give me an error.

HB1
Level 2
Level 2

And yes, it is ADSL, but it used to load much faster before. I'm only uploading 5MB size files. Nothing really big

david64
Level 15

How long does it take to upload 5MB file?

Any other devices active at that time? Or any other thing happening on your computer?

If you're using Windows, you could use Task Manager Networking to display Bytes Received, Bytes Sent, and the same items "Per Interval".

When you get the error, is there a message or does the upload just stop midstream?

HB1
Level 2
Level 2

Sometimes an error is provided, and sometimes it is just so slow I don't bother. I always end up tethering from my phone to make something upload. I do see the upload bar move forward (very slowly), but generally doesn't go more than half the bar and gives me an error message. Nothing usually happening with my computer during that time and nobody else is using a significant amount of internet bandwidth.

I've attached a picture, which is exactly 5 mins after I have started the attachment.

david64
Level 15

I would expect 5MB to go in under 90sec. Are you doing this on a computer connected by cable to router?

Do you have a Windows computer?
Open a command window and do a ping of the host name you are uploading to.

Is it www.gmail.com? I get response time about 12ms.

Now do:    tracert -d -h 20 www.------whatever

I get 8 lines of ip addresses, the 2nd to the 8th are about 13ms.

And do the same to www.tpg.com.au.

Just looking to see if there are delays in the hops to gmail.

HB1
Level 2
Level 2

Doing this by Wifi - if I connect to the router by cable it is slightly faster but not much, and yes I use Windows.

See attached file for hops.

david64
Level 15

How does it go if you upload this to TPG mail?

Do you use a mail client on your computer or web mail by browser? Don't know if it makes a difference.