TPG Community

Get online support

Upload speeds much less consistent & slower after removal of 'speedboost' than before it was applied

needforsuv
Level 3

Day to Night upload speeds much less consistent & slower after requested removal of 'speed boost' than before it was ever applied.

I'm having issues with upload speeds that I've never had before, and I am very frustrated and upset about it. 
I can't get good uploads speed that's needed for a good all-round NBN experience and something HAS TO BE done!

It all started when TPG had applied the 'speedboost' on my service on the 6/7th of April, which changed my solid 37mbps upload (100/40 plan, before they cut it to 100/20 for new users and pocketed the change) to a measly 23mbps (250/25 tier), with the actual boosted download not doing much or anything at all to improve the internet experience.

So I called to request the removal of said speed boost.

And I have not exactly heard back about the matter until I realised about a week ago that my download speeds were back at NBN100 levels, however, the upload speed was still 23mbps. And a few days ago, when I logged into the TPG modem/router page to check, I found out that bandwidth control for the uplink was enabled at 24500kbps, a setting which has NEVER BEEN enabled on until the cancelation of the speed boost. So I turned that off and did a few (very many) speed tests, and that's when absolute frustration set in.

The speeds were nothing like the speeds I had before and since the whole application of the speedboost in the first week of April, calling support and trying to get my good old upload speeds back have been nothing but infuriating and has wasted days of my time.

Right now, I can only get the same good upload speeds (37mbps) as before in the window from around midnight to 4-5am (even then, it is still less stable). And during the day up to the late 'evening' (to 11pm), the speeds are anywhere from 10 to more than 25% slower than what I was getting before (33mbps during the day if I'm lucky, but generally 27 to 30 mbps for the bad 'runs', which is almost all of them, with some dipping even more below that), or in other words, 15 to 40% slower than what the tier being paid for is(24 to 34 mbps vs ~40mbps).

All the while, the download speed is absolutely rock solid, day or night, 105 to 108 mbps, just like it had been since downloads were overprovisioned. Uploads aren't overprovisioned, so 37 to 38mbps was just fine, being within 5% of what was being paid for (downloads hit about the same before the OPing, 95mbps/%), so for that to drop so much...

It is just absolutely unacceptable!

If the network was busy or whatever, then I expect both up and download speeds to be impacted, but this is absolutely not the case, so something is clearly wrong!

It's almost like, by applying the speedboost (to people with NBN50 and 100), TPG have actually REDUCED the available upload bandwidth since they only gave very few NBN100 customers 'Ultrafast' aka 1000/50; with most, especially those with 100/40 connections, having either decreased uploads (40 to 25 or 15 mbps less) or marginal increases (20 to 25), meaning those on the Ultra-boost are not enough to offset those who lost upload speeds as a whole (but this bit is just what I think is happening).

Oh, and did I mention resetting the modem/router sets back the bandwidth control on the upload to 24500?

Yeah, something is CLEARLY VERY WRONG and needs to be fixed!

In short:
I had good upload speeds before April, all day everyday (even with the increase samples/tests I've taken, I've not gotten close at all) , but since the speedboost has been applied and 'removed' at request, it has been much worse and highly inconsistent compared to before.

Whether that is the speedboost not being removed properly or an actual shortfall in the allocated upload bandwidth for 100/40 services/my service causing it, I don't know, but either way, it needs to be fixed!

I expect speeds to IMPROVE over time, not go back steps!

If this can't be fixed with/in a definitive (or for that matter, reasonable) timeframe (getting back good, consistent upload speeds during the day and even night/midnight), just give/apply a new, fresh 6 months of the 'ultrafast' 1000/50 speedboost on my service/account that you seem to have given to just a few customers, because that's frankly the least that could be done after all the frustration caused and time wasted (that could be much, much better spent)!

That way, at least I will (or most/much more certainly) be getting at least the upload speeds that are being paid for, and you can ensure that whatever is going wrong right now will be rectified by the time the boost lapses and I go back to my good old solid speeds as if nothing's happened at all.

4 REPLIES 4
Shane

Hi @needforsuv ,

Thanks for raising this to us, we're sad to know that you are not satified with the upload speed of the service.

Our NBN100 plan is already configured with 20 Mbps Upload speed since May 2020, however on this particular case the Upload speed of the service was re-aligned after the application of the Free NBN Speed boost. 
You may check the information here.

Even we remove the NBN speed boost the upload speed of the service will stay up to 20Mbps.

Regards, 

needforsuv
Level 3

It isn't 100/20

It's 100/40!

That's the old one before you changed it without reducing the price which I stated CLEARLY!

I can't get good 37mbps anymore after the speedboost was removed.

Can't you read?

Shane

Hi @needforsuv,

We raised this with our Technical Team for investigation, we'll provide an update when it becomes available.

Regards,

It isn't 100/20

It's 100/40!

That's the old one before you changed it without reducing the price which I stated CLEARLY!

Can't you read?

Shane

Hi @needforsuv,

Please send me a private message with the following information.

• Screenshot of the modem/router' sync speed
  • Speed test performed using desktop/laptop connected via LAN/Ethernet cable

How do I private message (PM) in the community

Regards,

It isn't 100/20

It's 100/40!

Can't you read?