TPG Community

Get online support

Variability in NBN Wireless speed

574Rodeo
Level 2

I'm on the Mid North Coast and recently (10 days ago) upgraded from TPG M Bundle (12 Mb/s) to XXL (25 Mb/s) on NBN wireless and I'm finding that the service speed is extremely variable.  Wheras my old service was consistently ~8-10 mb/s with a ping of ~30ms, this new services is all over the shop.  Sometimes it runs near its proper speed  (>20 Mb/s) but other times it looks like my old service (~8-10 mb/s) or lower, with a ping time of in excess of ranging from 20-200 ms, then a hour later it will back running at its optimum and delivering the contract speed.

Is anybody else having similar problems with consistency of service speed?  Any solution other than ringing TPG (again) and complaining but with no change apparent.

cheers T

4 REPLIES 4
Shane

Hi @574Rodeo ,

Welcome to the community!

Thanks for raising this to us. 

There are different types of speed issues that you may experience:

1. Speed issues caused by a line fault on TPG or NBN's network. Affecting all device(s) LAN/Wireless connected to the modem/router this may require a real-time test and investigation by our Technicians and Engineers.

2. Wireless Speed issue this issue only affects the device(s) connected via Wi-Fi which can easily be fix by doing adjustment to the modem/router's settings.

3. Speed issues caused by ongoing outage in your area. 

In the event that the affected devices are connected Wireless/Wi-Fi connection, we recommend having a read on the following articles:

• Troubleshooting a Slow Internet Connection

• Easy Steps to Improve Wi-Fi Connection In Your Home

• Wireless Channel on your modem - what is it and why should I change it

For us to further assist you, please send us a private message with your TPG customer ID, username and complete address so we can pull up the account.

To send a PM, please refer to this link: How do I private message (PM) in the community

@574Rodeo wrote:

I'm on the Mid North Coast and recently (10 days ago) upgraded from TPG M Bundle (12 Mb/s) to XXL (25 Mb/s) on NBN wireless and I'm finding that the service speed is extremely variable.  Wheras my old service was consistently ~8-10 mb/s with a ping of ~30ms, this new services is all over the shop.  Sometimes it runs near its proper speed  (>20 Mb/s) but other times it looks like my old service (~8-10 mb/s) or lower, with a ping time of in excess of ranging from 20-200 ms, then a hour later it will back running at its optimum and delivering the contract speed.

Is anybody else having similar problems with consistency of service speed?  Any solution other than ringing TPG (again) and complaining but with no change apparent.

cheers T

david64
Level 15

Hi @574Rodeo . Is the "NBN wireless" you have the Home Wireless Broadband using 4G?

Have a look at these articles on Home Wireless Broadband, Speed Guide.

574Rodeo
Level 2

Wireless through NBN rtouter. Problem is variability is lack of consistency in speed service provided by TPG since change over to faster speed plan.

regards

Tony M

574Rodeo
Level 2

Forgot to say that from NBN router all connections by LAN cable.

regards

Tony M