TPG Community

Get online support

Wireless tpg modem clash chromecast

lucacutini
Level 2
Ok. After moving on from tpg adsl to tpg wireless modem my Chromecast ha now stopped casting.
Chromecast does connect to the wifi but when it comes to casting it just won’t.

Now I know for sure that it’s a modem to Chromecast interface for sure as I have done some test with others modems and Chromecast works just fine. Also it happened straight away after doing from tpg adsl to tpg wireless modem.

I’ve red on the community that you must give Chromecast a permanent ip location on the modem setting, I’ve tried that and still nothing. Also I’ve tried the AP setting but still nothing.

You guys had this issue before?

Cheers
18 REPLIES 18
Rica_R

Hi @lucacutini,

Welcome to TPG Community!

When using your Chromecast, are there any devices connected to the wifi network? 

Have you tried doing a speedtest prior casting? 

lucacutini
Level 2
Hi Jhoey,

There is another device connected to the wifi. Although it’s got a different Mac and IP address, so I think that should be a problem?

I have not performed a speedtest, I will as soon as I get home today.
Would speed effect Chromecast ?

Thank you
Rica_R

Yes, speed affects the casting to the connected devices.

Chromecast recommends a minimum of 5 Mbps speed for good performance.

Let us know how it goes.

lucacutini
Level 2
I’ve run a speed test and I’m sitting at 25 Mbps.

I’ve tried everything. From factory resetting both devices, forgetting and resetting wifi on casting device. Nothing seems to work.

Modem ip 192.168.1.1

Chromecast ip 192.168.1.100

Would this be an issue ?
BasilDV

Hi @lucacutini

When you tried to cast, did you receive an error message?

What is the make and model of your modem/router? Did you check if the band steering is enabled or disabled?

If it's enabled, could you disable it?

BasilDV

lucacutini
Level 2
No errors.
Itd just start casting and then gets stuck.
Sometime Chromecast itself would loose connectivity when try to cast after awhile and then reconnect. That Only happens when trying casting.

I’ve tried turning band steering off but didn’t help.

Modem is tp-link AX5400 Hybrid Wi-Fi6

Thanks
lucacutini
Level 2
I’ve also just run another speed test and noticed that like the test before Upload speed is about 1.5Mbs
Now that seems a bit low.

Could that be the problem?

Thanks
Rica_R

Hi @lucacutini,

We'd like to make a follow-up on your chrome casting concern. Are you still having trouble when using Chrome cast? Your current upload speed is good as Home Wireless broadband offers up to 2Mbps of upload. 

lucacutini
Level 2
Thanks for checking in. Unfortunately I can’t work it out. Looks like Chromecast is clashing somehow with the new tpg modem. I’ve tried all I could think off and check that chromcast would work with other networks and it does.

So at this stage I can only opt to swap over to another provider.

Thanks for your help