TPG Community

Get online support

Work IP softphone not working when on VPN using TGP broadband

chawa
Level 2

I have a weird issue: when i connect to my TPG wifi and then connect to my work VPN and use my work softphone I experience one way audio when I dial an internal extension. If I hotspot to my mobile carrier (optus) and connect to my work VPN. I do not experience any audio issues with my work softphone and dialling internal extensions.

It doesn't make sense because all my voice traffic should be travelling via my work VPN but what I don't understand is why I only experience this issue when I am connected to home WiFi and then my work VPN.

Has anyone experienced anything unusual like this before?

Cheers,

21 REPLIES 21
david64
Level 15

Hi @chawa . Which direction is the one-way audio?

Is it the same when you call an external number through the VPN?

How long has it been doing this? Just started suddenly or from when you changed to NBN?

Assuming you are using a laptop, can you connect to your router using ethernet?

Can you use a friend's NBN connection to test this, either TPG or another? 

Does your work have a standalone internet connection (not part of their internal network) you can connect to? I think it will be for your IT section to work this out.

I've just found this thread. It's been going for quite some time.

https://community.tpg.com.au/t5/Broadband-Internet/VPN-IP-Phone-One-Way-Audio-on-TPG-NBN/td-p/23133/...

And, it has a suggested solution regarding DNS.

chawa
Level 2

Hi @david64,

Thanks for your response.

Here are my answers to your questions:

Which direction is the one-way audio?

ANS: Party A calls Party B and Party B can hear Party A but Party A cannot hear Party B

Is it the same when you call an external number through the VPN?

ANS: Yes

How long has it been doing this?

ANS: It's hard to say because I can't recall if it was doing this last year when wee were working from home but before I was on TPG my ISP was amnet and I didn't have any issues

Just started suddenly or from when you changed to NBN?
ANS:

Assuming you are using a laptop, can you connect to your router using ethernet?

ANS: Tried that and I was getting the same behaviour

Can you use a friend's NBN connection to test this, either TPG or another? 

ANS: I tested this with a colleague using Telstra and we did not have any audio issues

Does your work have a standalone internet connection (not part of their internal network) you can connect to? I think it will be for your IT section to work this out.

ANS: Yes and it all worked perfectly

This internal DNS issue is seemig more plausible.

nmendoza
Level 2

Hi,

Was there a resolution to this?

I am having the exact same issue with my new NBN connection

Shane

Hi @nmendoza,

Welcome to the community!

What are the requirements need to set up your Work IP softphone? In the event that Static IP address is needed unfortunately all our NBN residential plan comes with Dynamic IP address. I highly recommend to confirm this with the softphone provider.

Regards,

Hi,

Was there a resolution to this?

I am having the exact same issue with my new NBN connection

david64
Level 15

Hi @nmendoza . If your softphone and your connection to work both go through your VPN connection, your dynamic residential ip address is irrelevant. Your VPN provider makes the connection to your work. Your VPN provider and your work should look at the routing for voice data. Original problem included one-way audio.

The original user @chawa might reply.

chawa
Level 2
There is still no resolution to this. I have tried using different modems at home and I am still getting the one way audio issue. If I tether to my mobile internet (Optus), I don’t have the issue.
david64
Level 15

Hi @chawa . Just to go over your situation again.

The laptop is provided by your work?

The VPN provider effectively is your work? Not some third party?

When you call someone, they can hear you but you can't hear them.

Can you receive calls? Does the softphone "ring" so you can take the call? Is the audio still one-way?

The laptop is ok because it works through other connections.

Joseph_D

@chawa can you please PM your account and contact details to me or any moderator?

Kind regards,

Joseph D

nmendoza
Level 2

Exact same thing with me, if I tether to Optus or Vodafone SIM then it works fine.

VPN is Forticlient and softphone is Mitel Connect.

I have also tried with multiple routers.

I can call out and receive calls, other side can hear me but i don't hear anything.