TPG Community

Get online support

is port 9 (WoL) being blocked at the network?

SOLVED Go to solution
offbeatmammal
Level 2

just wondering if anything has changed in the TPG network that might be stopping me sending a Wake-on-Lan signal (TCP port 9) recently?

Until the beginning of this week I've had no problems using that to wake a machine when I'm away from home so I can VPN in but after a brief network outage that ability seems to have stopped.

Port 80 and VPN connections seem to be fine.

Port forwarding to that machine is still set up in the router and WoL from within the network to that IP works fine.

Will continue to explore internal setup, but wanted to double check that it's still something I should be able to do

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
david64
Master

Hi @offbeatmammal . Do you have ethernet packet capture software, eg. Wireshark?

Just did a test on my system. Added forward rule for port 9 TCP and UDP to my computer. Used a port checking tool off internet. Wireshark shows my computer receiving UDP ICMP message and TCP SYN.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
david64
Master

Hi @offbeatmammal . Do you have ethernet packet capture software, eg. Wireshark?

Just did a test on my system. Added forward rule for port 9 TCP and UDP to my computer. Used a port checking tool off internet. Wireshark shows my computer receiving UDP ICMP message and TCP SYN.

offbeatmammal
Level 2

weirdly didn't get a chance to check anything, nothing changed, tried again today and it works again

did set up wireshark to confirm, and yes I do see traffic on

udp.port == 9

from both LAN and WAN now

mysterious network weirdness in action!

Wiser
Level 3

Put it down to the spate of sunspots and all the planets in alignment the other day! Simplez.