nbn setup issue

domeng12
Level 2

senior parents have received modem and router. installed as per instruction however only 3 lights lit up (lan was not flashing or lit up).  please note, their phone line socket is the old one which is square socket so i just left that and plugged the end from the phone into the network connection device .  the installation instruction is showing a phone socket that is a single socket so not sure if this is the reason why last light is not flashing.  also received the text essage that nbn service is awaiting activation to connect nbn modem.  we had it plugged in for more than hour and had to unplug it so they can use their phone.  is is supposed to be plugged in until its activated? we have not received any email except for the one saying order had been received. 

6 REPLIES 6
KarlB

Hi @domeng12,

It doesn't sound like the order has not been complete. Once the order has been complete they will receive confirmation that the service is ready for use. When did they submit the order?

Also it sounds like they have missed the most important step of plugging the modem into the phone socket. Depending on your type of NBN service, they may need to purchase a 610 adapter to plug into the older style phone socket. Do they have a telephone handset they can borrow one from? Can you confirm what type of NBN service your parents have ordered eg HFC, FTTN, FTTP?

Regards,

Karl

domeng12
Level 2

HI,  thank you for replying.

order received email was dated 14/4/2020.  and we ordered the NBN FTTC SL Bundle Fast. We picked this one being unlimited and set price so no hidden surprise for them.  all that was asked online is if they have a phone line and when we checked the availability it said its of for their address. no mention of any requirement for adapter.  sorry this is the first time were setting for nbn and even at my own home i'm still on cable . waiting to see how painful this process will be before i transfer over. 

KarlB

Hi @domeng12,

With an NBN_FTTC you will need to have a 610 adapter to connect your NBN NCD to the older style phone socket. TPG do not supply these adapters. You can purchase from many places like Harvey Norman and Bunnings, and don't cost that much.

I have included the link below to make sure your parents setup is correct, for when their order is completed.

https://community.tpg.com.au/t5/Broadband-Internet/NBN-Fibre-to-the-Curb-FTTC-Setup-Guide/td-p/7856

Regards,

Karl

domeng12
Level 2

Thank you Karl.  

I have ordered the adaptor from JB HIFI. I will let you know how we go.

domeng12
Level 2

hi karl,

just to let you know we got connected.  now just waiting for their landline to be ported.  the advise about the 610 adaptor was very helpful and should probably be added to the instructions. 

thanks for the help. have a good day

KarlB

Hi @domeng12,

That is great news. The porting will normally take 4 - 5 days to complete after your internet service is activated.

Regards,

Karl