TPG Community

Get online support

unable to login with client to IMAP/SMTP server

SOLVED Go to solution
Fab2021
Level 3

Hi

I have been using for years an email service that allows me to configure a client with IMAP/SMTP

it is about 10 days that this is not working anymore: keep on asking the password

I have checked all the configurations and they are correct

I can login to their webmail service using my loging and password

I then found out that if I connect to the internet using my mobile hotspot instead of TPG the client works fine

It looks like somehow TPG blocks access to this particular email service which is a perfectly legit internet provider in Italy [https://www.libero.it/]

Instructions as per [https://aiuto.libero.it/articolo/mail/parametri-di-configurazione-per-il-client-di-posta/]

IMAP:
– Server: imapmail.libero.it
– Porta:   993 con SSL

SMTP (con SSL):
– Server: smtp.libero.it  (selezionando la richiesta di autenticazione)
Porta:   465 con SSL

As I said I have been using this email since 20 years and I would like to be able to use my clients with it while connected to TPG

Can you please look into that?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Fab2021
Level 3

Hi @david64 

rebooting the router and getting a new IP did the trick, thanks for that I did not think about it

FYI when I was trying to login into the IMAP server using telnet and the specified port 993 the server was closing the connection beforre I even had the time to type in login and password

Thanks again for the assistance

Fab

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
david64
Level 15

Hi @Fab2021 . Do you have your email address and password configured in the SMTP and IMAP settings? And authentication?

Do you know whether your public ip address may have changed 10 days ago? Changed ip address may affect how the mail server sees you.

I don't think you are being blocked. Open a command window and try these commands:

telnet smtp.libero.it 25

You'll get a 1 line message. Type   quit    to exit.

telnet imapmail.libero.it 110

Another 1 line message. Type    quit    to exit.

Fab2021
Level 3

@david64 

Thanks for the reply
I have run the test you mentioned here is the output

telnet smtp.libero.it 25
Trying 213.209.1.144...
Connected to smtp.libero.it.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 smtp-31.iol.local smtp-31.iol.local ESMTP server ready
quit
221 smtp-31.iol.local smtp-31.iol.local closing connection
Connection closed by foreign host.

telnet imapmail.libero.it 110
Trying 213.209.0.134...
Connected to popimap.libero.it.
Escape character is '^]'.
+OK Dovecot ready.
quit
+OK Logging out
Connection closed by foreign host.

Previously I had also run a test with open ssl that failed, that is what I got (I will have to post what I got in a separate message as I have tried 3 times already and was flagged as spam for some reason)

My point is that when I disconnect from TPG and I connect to the Internet with an alternative provider (e.g. my Telstra hotspot) then the mail client works straight away, hence my supposition that is has to do with TPG somehow blocking the connection
Any ideas?
Cheers

Fab2021
Level 3

I am trying to post the results of the open ssl output but the forum does not allow it, tried about 10 times with different strategies

cannot attach a txt file

I am out of resources

david64
Level 15

@Fab2021 . When you get these requests to enter password, is the text in English or Italian? Either way, I can't see TPG blocking access.

Regarding your public ip address, reboot your router and get another one. If still no good, contact the Libero web site. They might have flagged ip addresses for some reason. 

I try the 2 ssl ports and get blank screen indicating a connection.

You can just copy and paste text into your reply.

Fab2021
Level 3

Hi @david64 

rebooting the router and getting a new IP did the trick, thanks for that I did not think about it

FYI when I was trying to login into the IMAP server using telnet and the specified port 993 the server was closing the connection beforre I even had the time to type in login and password

Thanks again for the assistance

Fab