TPG Community

Get online support

3rd party router and VOIP

Jannakie-74
Level 2

I am moving from TPG ADSL to NBN. Have purchased a third-party router TP – Link Archer AX6000 802.11ax Next Gen wifi router. I'm getting mixed messages from TPG. Does anyone know if I can use my own router to make VoIP calls.Does TPG provide any technical support at all if using the third-party router

4 REPLIES 4
david64
Level 15

Hi @Jannakie-74 . TPG VOIP function only works with the TPG supplied router connected directly to the NBN box .

You can connect an Analog Telephone Adaptor to your router and connect your standard telephone to the ATA. You program the ATA with the details of a third party VOIP provider.

Regarding the AX6000, if you will be on a connection type other then FTTP, it has to support a VLAN ID=2 setting. It is not clear from the manual how to do this. Maybe ask TP-Link.

Jannakie-74
Level 2

Thank you David 64. Very helpful information. My connection type is FTTP

david64
Level 15

@Jannakie-74 . To use TPG VOIP service with FTTP, the standard phone is connected to the UNI-V1 port on the NBN box. Try connecting your phone to the UNI-V1 port without the router connected and see whether the phone works. You'll need to wait until you are notified that NBN is ready. If you are porting a previous phone number, that may take a bit longer.

If the phone into the NBN box works, connect your new router and see how it goes.

Jannakie-74
Level 2

Thank you David64 for your valuable suggestions. Any help and information is much appreciated. Will give it a try