TPG Community

Get online support

Can't hear phone caller for first 10 seconds

MatthewLStevens
Level 2

Since switching to the NBN a few months ago on TPG, I have had a consistent fault whereby I cannot hear the person at the other end of the landline call for the first 5 to 10 seconds of each call. The fault is the same whether I call out or someone calls in. The other person can always hear me making a fool of myself saying, "Hello? Hello?" If I call out, I can hear the other end pick up and then silence for up to 10 seconds. I now have to say, "Hello, I can't hear you for the first ten seconds of this call on account of the NBN, but I'll hear you shortly." Then eventually I can hear them and the call is normal thereafter.

My VR1600v says: "Firmware Version:0.1.0 0.9.1 v5006.0 Build 180828 Rel.56416n".

Q1: Can you update the firmware for me if there is a newer version?

Q2: If that's not the solution, what settings can I adjust?

Q3: What settings can you adjust?

Google searches reveal that other people experience similar faults with various routers and providers, so I would be surprised if you haven't already come across this one and don't already have a solution.

10 REPLIES 10
Shane

Hi @MatthewLStevens ,

Welcome to the community!

What troubleshooting have you done so far?

Please try to do the following troubleshooting below.

• Hard reset the modem/router - Push the pinhole for 3-5secs until all light flashes and release. - The modem/router will configure itself may take 5mins.
  • Try different handset

Let me know how it will go.

Cheers!

MatthewLStevens
Level 2

Thanks for your reply.

If I do a hard reset, do I lose all settings? Do I need to save the settings and then restore them?

Still trying to find a different handset.

BasilDV

Hi @MatthewLStevens,

When you reset the modem/router, it will turn the settings back to its default.

Unfortunately, the backup and restore feature of the modem is currently not supported.

Once you've done with the steps and issue still persists, please let us know.

Regards,

BasilDV

MatthewLStevens
Level 2

I took screenshots of all of my settings,* then reset the router. It took only about 1 minute to reboot.

I reapplied all of my settings (they had been lost, thus confirming that the reset was correctly done).

I've tried calling myself between mobile and home phone in both directions, apparently with success.

I'll wait now for real calls and report back.

*It would be a great help if TPG could restore both the save/restore settings menu item and the firmware update menu item.

Shane

We're glad to know that @MatthewLStevens

Let us know how the incoming call will go.

We appreciate your feedback in regards with our modem/router we will pass this on to our Management.

Let us know should you require further assistance.

Cheers!

MatthewLStevens
Level 2

So I reset the router … and then went away for a few days. This morning, I just answered the phone and … same problem: pause of nearly 10 seconds before I can hear the caller, even though he could hear me loud and clear.

What is the next thing to try, please?

Shane

Hi @MatthewLStevens,

Thanks for additional details. We'd like to arrange a call from one of our Technicians for real-time testing and further investigation.

Feel free to PM me your best contact number and preferred time.

In case you need a reference: How do I private message (PM) in the community

Shane

Hi @MatthewLStevens ,

We've seen that you have been in contact with one of our Technical Support and the issue with your home phone has been raised to our Engineering Team for further investigation.

Assessment will be provided via SMS or Phone call once it is done by one of our Engineers. Let us know should you require further assistance.

Cheers!

Flatwhitefilly
Level 2

Hi, just wondering if your issue was ever resolved and if so how? I’m having the same issue.

@MatthewLStevens wrote:

Since switching to the NBN a few months ago on TPG, I have had a consistent fault whereby I cannot hear the person at the other end of the landline call for the first 5 to 10 seconds of each call. The fault is the same whether I call out or someone calls in. The other person can always hear me making a fool of myself saying, "Hello? Hello?" If I call out, I can hear the other end pick up and then silence for up to 10 seconds. I now have to say, "Hello, I can't hear you for the first ten seconds of this call on account of the NBN, but I'll hear you shortly." Then eventually I can hear them and the call is normal thereafter.

My VR1600v says: "Firmware Version:0.1.0 0.9.1 v5006.0 Build 180828 Rel.56416n".

Q1: Can you update the firmware for me if there is a newer version?

Q2: If that's not the solution, what settings can I adjust?

Q3: What settings can you adjust?

Google searches reveal that other people experience similar faults with various routers and providers, so I would be surprised if you haven't already come across this one and don't already have a solution.