TPG Community

Get online support

Configuring PHONE 1 on NBN FTTN

Riezl

Hi @cmc2013, please send us a private message with your TPG customer ID, username and complete address so we can pull up the account and help with your concern. To send a PM, please refer to this link: How do I private message (PM) in the community

XXXXXXX
Level 2

I had exactly the same problem this week starting about 6 days back. Same modem VR1600v, same symptoms. I had three calls to Tech help and they more or less implied that I had caused the fault by turning my Modem/Router off/on at night or when the line droped out but I have been doing this for the last 5 years every night and every time the service drops out and the phone has never stopped working before.

I have seen multiple people on here have the same symptoms. I think their message about registering the router is nonsense. Their routers (TP-LINK VR1600) have been configured by them to set the VOIP phone settings up automatically when you power them on. You just need to plug them in and turn them on. Even if you reset the router factory settings it will still power up, download the rest of its config from TPG and then the Internet and phone will come up automatically.

The only thing I did to get mine to start working again was to keep resetting the router (Black button on the back) and I also cleaned the cable ends (The tiny gold coloured strips) going from the router to the handset with Alchohol. But the cleaning was just to rule that out as an issue, as it did not suddenly start working after cleaning. Remember that the phone cable has to plug into PHONE1 on the router which is the one closest to the power button at the back next to the power plug.

I really think the router was not being supplied the correct config from TPG and they eventually did something to get that to download and work again. I suspect that this is a known issue but they don't have the resources to fix it properly and admitting that would mean that they should give you a credit for the time that your phone service was unavailable.

This of course is only my opinion though and I have no intention to defame or damage the reputation of TPG or any of its subsidiaries.

XXXXXXX
Level 2

Sorry, I just re-read your post and my issue was slightly different. I actually could not even get a Dial-Tone.

That does not change much though. TPG need to do something at their end to fix it.

orbistat
Level 8

@XXXXXXX wrote

I think their message about registering the router is nonsense.

HI @XXXXXXX The serial number and subsequent MAC address of the supplied modems are recorded and would need to correspond to a valid account before they can be authorised for use on the network.

orbistat
Level 8

@XXXXXXX wrote:

Sorry, I just re-read your post and my issue was slightly different. I actually could not even get a Dial-Tone.

That does not change much though. TPG need to do something at their end to fix it.

Hi @XXXXXXX The dial tone on the VR1600v is generated locally from the modem so even without a VDSL cable connected the dial tone will still be heard in off the hook mode. The VOIP indicator on the modem will indicate a link to the VOIP server.

If you couldn't hear a dial tone the fault would've been local to your premises.

XXXXXXX
Level 2

Thankyou, That explains a lot and I may even be getting closer to diagnosing my intermittent fault.

May I also ask ...

1 - Are the DTMF tones and on/off hook click sound also supplied by the VR1600 router.

2 - If I setup a different router (Not from TPG) for some time will my old Account to MAC address association (For the VR1600) time out and eventually permamnetly fail to authenticate even when I plug it back in ?

orbistat
Level 8

@XXXXXXX wrote:

1 - Are the DTMF tones and on/off hook click sound also supplied by the VR1600 router.

2 - If I setup a different router (Not from TPG) for some time will my old Account to MAC address association (For the VR1600) time out and eventually permamnetly fail to authenticate even when I plug it back in ?

Hi @XXXXXXX

1 -  Yes they're emulated and buffered, .

2 - I don't beleive there's an issue with devices and time limits, I'm unsure why @cmc2013 is having issues unless the VR1600v wasn't registered in the first place as they didn't really answer if it had ever worked to start with.