TPG Community

Get online support

Connecting Multiple Handsets to NBN Fixed Wireless Modem VR1600v

SOLVED Go to solution
msfinnis
Level 2

Hello,  I have received and set up a TPG VR1600V NBN Wireless modem with VoIP service.  The unit has two RJ11 ports on the back.  I have connected a telephone to the port "Phone 1" which works OK.  I tried connecting a second phone to the unit on port "Phone 2".  It has a dial tone but does not work correctly otherwise.  Any suggestions? Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
orbistat
Level 8

Hi @msfinnis The phone 2 port on the VR1600v is only used when there is a secondary phone service such as in a different number, the dial tone is generated from within the modem so that is normal.

If you only have 1 number and wish to connect more than 1 phone you need to connect both phones to the phone 1 port in parallel with an adapter.

The most efficient way would be just a single cordless base with multiple handsets, cordless phones also support calling number display which is enabled by default on your TPG NBN service.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
orbistat
Level 8

Hi @msfinnis The phone 2 port on the VR1600v is only used when there is a secondary phone service such as in a different number, the dial tone is generated from within the modem so that is normal.

If you only have 1 number and wish to connect more than 1 phone you need to connect both phones to the phone 1 port in parallel with an adapter.

The most efficient way would be just a single cordless base with multiple handsets, cordless phones also support calling number display which is enabled by default on your TPG NBN service.

msfinnis
Level 2

Thanks @orbistat that explains and helps a lot. 

tk533
Level 3

@orbistat wrote:

Sorry to bud in on this thread. Just wondering if you know the maximum number of phones does the phone1 outlet supports? I don't have a cordless phone with multiple handsets, only a single handset one. But I do have other spare digital and analog phones lying around and would like to have at least 3 phones in the house.

orbistat
Level 8

Hi @tk533 It really depends on the type of handset as different models present a different load on the line, I would think though that you should be OK with up to 3 devices in parallel connected to the phone 1 port on the VR1600.

The emulated AC ring voltage that's generated from within the VR1600v will be current limited to protect the power supply so that will be the determining factor.

I havn't got additional handsets to test that on a VR1600v at the moment, I would connect all 3 and test, then down to 2 if you don't hear them all ring.

Feel free to repost on any thread in the community, help and problem solving is what it's all about.

Best regards