TPG Community

Get online support

Home Phone Caller ID display

MLGathercole
Level 2

I have been with TPG forever and when the NBN came through my home phone also became TPG.  For many months I had caller ID giving me details of the incoming caller, then all of a sudden it just tells me INCOMING CALL.  I know it is an incoming call as the phone is ringing.  What happened to the Caller ID display?  Please do not tell me it is my phone, as I did nothing to change it.  I would like to have it back please. I tried to speak to someone about this issue, but only had continuous messages from Customer Service telling me to look up this that and the other.  It has been totally unsatisfactory and I look forward to getting Caller ID back again.  Regards M

6 REPLIES 6
orbistat
Level 8

Hi @MLGathercole What type of NBN connection do you have, FTTN, HFC, FTTC, etc?

Have you tried restarting all devices?

Have you checked the time and date setting is correct on the phone system?

How many telephony devices are connected to the Phone 1 port on the router?

pmke
Level 2
Hi @orbistat. I have exactly this experience as well. The phone log on the modem includes the caller ID information but the phone displays “INCOMING CALL”.
The time on the phone is being sync’d automatically and is correct.
I also paired a DECT phone directly with the modem (TP-Link AC1600) and it also displays “INCOMING CALL”.
Interestingly tpPhone does display the caller’s number.
I don’t know enough about how caller ID is transmitted for VoIP and how that is then passed to an analog phone. Can you shed any more light on what may be going awry?
Thanks in advance,
Phil.
orbistat
Level 8

Hi @pmke the CND data is simply an analogue data stream (similar to a dial up modem) that's decoded by the receiving device and isn't heard by the listener (even though it's in the middle of the voice band at about 1200 Hz) because it's been acknowledged before the phone is answered.

The data may be filtered out somewhere in the routing possibly by a third party, can you provide more information on the tpPhone and what type of phone you have connected to the Phone 1 port on the TP-Link modem, you mention AC1600, do you mean VR1600v?

Update: the tpPhone app at this point only supports Archer VR200 VR500 & VR600 routers.

pmke
Level 2

The modem/router is one of these: https://www.tp-link.com/au/home-networking/dsl-modem-router/archer-vr600v/.  tpPhone is supported and so far is working perfectly.

We also have a VR1600V supplied by TPG (masquerading as iiNet) as a replacement for the preceding modem (also supplied by iiNet) which the tech support guys thought may have been the culprit.  The VR1600V connected to the internet without problem but the VoIP registration didn't come up at all (ie: phones couldn't make or receive calls at all) and there was no way to change the VoIP settings so we went out and purchased a new modem.

When the CLID problem initially started (December-ish 2018?) the iiNet support guys suggested the phone might've been the problem so we went and purchased a Panasonic KX-TG7871AZ: https://www.panasonic.com/au/consumer/household/cordless-phones/phone-with-answering-machine/kx-tg78...

Unfortunately that didn't correct the problem.

Reviewing the call log on the modem I can see the calling number and, as mentioned previously, tpPhone also displays the calling number.

I tried pairing one of the DECT handsets directly to the AC1600.  It can make and receive calls but it displays "INCOMING CALL", not the calling number - the behaviour we're seeing with the Panasonic base and handsets.

I'd really like to get this sorted as my parents have trouble reading the phone displays and the Panasonic devices read out the caller information (when it's available): it's having a bit of an impact on them.

I appreciate you taking a look into this.  What more can I tell you?

orbistat
Level 8

Hi @pmke I'm a bit confused as to what's going on, so just to clarify, is your NBN / VOIP service through TPG or iinet? Did TPG or iinet supply the VR1600v?

pmke
Level 2

Hi @orbistat.  TPG acquired iiNet a couple of years ago.  It's a NBN FTTN service through the iiNet brand.  iiNet supplied the VR1600v.  I don't know how their back-ends are related these days; the only thing I've really seen is phone support move to (I think) South Africa.