TPG Community

Get online support

Keeping your landline number when you move

PJC
Level 2
Level 2

I'm moving house and TPG tell me that I can't keep my existing landline number as I am 'changing geographical area'.  I am moving less than 10kms up the road, still within Sydney and even within the same local council area so I don't understand why I can't keep my number.  Changing number is going to cause a lot of problems so I want to keep it if I can.

Can anyone explain what the criteria for 'changing geographical area' is?  I asked the TPG person to check several times and he kept assuring me that the number had to change.  I can accept this if I understood how my move constitues a georgraphical change but I just don't understand the criteria.

2 REPLIES 2
Shane

Hi @PJC,

Let us help coordinate this with our Relocation Team, could you shoot us a PM with your details to better understand the situation of the relocation s tatus.

How to send a PM? 

Regards,

I'm moving house and TPG tell me that I can't keep my existing landline number as I am 'changing geographical area'.  I am moving less than 10kms up the road, still within Sydney and even within the same local council area so I don't understand why I can't keep my number.  Changing number is going to cause a lot of problems so I want to keep it if I can.

Can anyone explain what the criteria for 'changing geographical area' is?  I asked the TPG person to check several times and he kept assuring me that the number had to change.  I can accept this if I understood how my move constitues a georgraphical change but I just don't understand the criteria.

Jeff1949
Level 4

PJC
I believe the key question is, as TPG should know, and should help you with is ....are you moving into a different telephone exchange area?
My understanding is that telephone number ranges are allocated to carriers and telephone exchange areas, and whether your movement is 1Km or 20Km is completely irrelevant to the issue.
Council areas and other arbitrary boundaries and "geographical areas" other than where they align with exchange areas also have nothing to do with it.