TPG Community

Get online support

Need VOIP settings - TP-Link Archer VR2100V

vickietrew
Level 2

Hello,

My TPG supplied TP-Link Archer VR1600V router stopped working and I have bought a TP-Link Archer VR2100V.

I have configured the internet settings fine, however I cannot get VOIP working.

Can you confirm that the settings I have below are correct?

Can you confirm that the VOIP password is the same one as my TPG Account?

Can you please tell me whether my 'Authentication ID' is username@tpg.com.au or something different?

Thank you.

11 REPLIES 11
Rica_R

Hi @vickietrew,

Welcome to the Community!

The VoIP SIP settings are embedded in the firmware of the modem/router that we provide.

This means that VoIP will not work using a third-party device.

Hope this helps. 

vickietrew
Level 2
Jhoey,

I appreciate you replying but your answer doesn't ring true.

A setting is a setting, whether it's embedded or not. The settings embedded into the VR1600V will work on a VR2100V unless TPG is blocking routers on a device-by-device basis in which case you're blocking it deliberately. And that's a business decision not a technical limitation.

If TPG don't wish to provide technical support for 3rd party hardware, then you should say that.

But to say that it is impossible is disingenuous at best.

What would you recommend customers do when their TPG supplied router fails if they wish to continue to use VOIP services? Move to a different VOIP provider?
Shane

Hi @vickietrew,

We provide the modem for all our NBN plans as they are sold as an Internet & Home Phone Bundle. As the Home Phone component of your bundle is encrypted for security, you will need to use our modem if you are to make and receive phone calls.

In the event that our supplied modem/router failed to work we can check the option to get a replacement modem. You have the option to use a 3rd party modem/router however the VoIP will work using our supplied modem. 

Regards,

Jhoey,

I appreciate you replying but your answer doesn't ring true.

A setting is a setting, whether it's embedded or not. The settings embedded into the VR1600V will work on a VR2100V unless TPG is blocking routers on a device-by-device basis in which case you're blocking it deliberately. And that's a business decision not a technical limitation.

If TPG don't wish to provide technical support for 3rd party hardware, then you should say that.

But to say that it is impossible is disingenuous at best.

What would you recommend customers do when their TPG supplied router fails if they wish to continue to use VOIP services? Move to a different VOIP provider?

Mattycat
Level 3
Did you get any further with this?
Interested as limiting to tpg supplied lesser quality modem seems as you say disingenuous and also a restrictive business practice?
Sally4
Level 2

Hi vickietrew, I have exactly the same problem.  I used to be able to make and receive VOIP calls but can't now, since we installed a new TP-Link Archer VR2100v modem.

We paid for installing our new modem, and for configuring it and all our dependent devices for Tpg.  And we disposed of the old modem Tpg had supplied into electronic garbage.  The VOIP handset gave a dial tone so I assumed it worked.

But now that I have found out that VOIP didn't work beyond the dial tone, I have logged in to our new modem and checked that all the configuration details for VOIP appear to  be correct, and I have plugged the handset's cable in to the modem's Line 1, and rebooted it.  Still no VOIP.

I called the technician out again and he said I needed more info from Tpg.  But when I rang Tpg Help they said they couldn't help me with a modem they didn't supply.

I find this unbelievable, and unacceptable.  But currently I am stuck, am waiting for a response to my Private Message to a moderator, and meanwhile wonder what happened to you and your identical problem.

BasilDV

Hi @Sally4

We've since responded to your PM and waiting for your reply.

Be advised that the bundled VoIP service will only work with a TPG provided modem/router with dedicated firmware for our service.

If you are using a third party device, then it will not work even though you've configured the SIP settings.

If you really need the VoIP service, then you have the option to use the TPG provided modem/router and use the new device as an access point.

BasilDV

Bitzer
Level 2

Have the same issue with a different provider. "Ugraded from an old TG789 witth NBN NodePhone capabilty, that keeps dropping out, to this by an Amazon Prime Account. Getting locked out and DECT phone not recognised. Seems like an issue for the ACCC as clearly could be anticompetative "you can only buy it from us". After a few hours off fooling around I am going to put in an offical complaint for it ain't fair. 

jasonwang0609
Level 2

Hi There,

I am in a similar situation, bought a new VR2100V modem to replace the old one. I managed to get the internet working but not the home phone.

Please advise if TPG still didn't support the BYO modem on VOIP. Just want to confirm that before I make a decision to move a different service provider.

Shane

Hi @jasonwang0609,

VoIP service will only work using our supplied modem/router.

Regards,

Hi There,

I am in a similar situation, bought a new VR2100V modem to replace the old one. I managed to get the internet working but not the home phone.

Please advise if TPG still didn't support the BYO modem on VOIP. Just want to confirm that before I make a decision to move a different service provider.