Phone problem

SOLVED Go to solution
chanel
Level 3

Hi,

Can/will NBN(HTTN)/TPG dropouts interfere with the time setting on my connected landline phone/answering machine?

Chanel

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
BasilDV

Hi @chanel,

Welcome to TPG Community!

Based on your description, you do have a normal phone which has a caller ID and answering machine feature. The time and date on your phone should not be affected by the internet dropouts since it has itsown power source.

You might need to ask the phone manufacturer or support about the issue on the time settings as this is not controlled by any Internet service provider. Unless you are using an Ethernet powered phone which uses the time and date that it's getting from the internet server.

You can also go with the advise of @DB.

Regards,

View solution in original post

chanel
Level 3

Hi,

Thank you for your response - I'll follow it up with Oricom.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Mische29
Level 3

Hi @chanel,

Are you using a normal handset with answering machine or are you using an Ethernet powered phone?

If it's just the usual phone w/ AM, then it should not affect or interfere with the time settings when the connection drops out. While on the Ethernet powered phone, there's a possibility that it will be affected since it uses it's server's time and date settings.

If you're able to provide the model and make of the phone or post a picture. It will be helpful for the community to provide you the exact information you seek.

You can also contact the manufacturer of your phone, as it might be a lot easier. Hehe. Smiley Wink

DB
Level 3
Level 3

Would recommend that you refer to your handset user manual. Difficult to know if your handset time and day function uses the internet connection for this purpose.

chanel
Level 3

Thanks for your reply & suggestions.

Happened again last night - found phone clock keeping time, but running exactly 1 hour(as alway) late.Something must have happened during the night, as everything was OK by morning - except the time.

My phone is an Oricom "PRO910 - 1 DECT Digital Cordless Telephone with Answering Machine". Oricom's Customer Support response was - quote "Please be advised it sound the caller ID setting from the service provide need adjusting.Please contact you reservice provider & advised them of the faulty". Hmm.....!

I think my phone is a normal handset with answering machinepand not an ethernet powered phone. It connects to the router with the same type of cable used to connect it to the old wall socket, pre-NBN, not an ethernet cable - I don't think. Apologies for my ignorance.

I'll contact TPG support and see if I can get an answer to this problem.

Thanks again.

BasilDV

Hi @chanel,

Welcome to TPG Community!

Based on your description, you do have a normal phone which has a caller ID and answering machine feature. The time and date on your phone should not be affected by the internet dropouts since it has itsown power source.

You might need to ask the phone manufacturer or support about the issue on the time settings as this is not controlled by any Internet service provider. Unless you are using an Ethernet powered phone which uses the time and date that it's getting from the internet server.

You can also go with the advise of @DB.

Regards,

chanel
Level 3

Hi,

Thank you for your response - I'll follow it up with Oricom.

BasilDV

You are welcome @chanel. Cheers!