TPG Community

Get online support

Without home phone service 9 days and counting. Update modem details

stegil
Level 2

Background for this https://community.tpg.com.au/t5/Modems-and-Devices/Is-this-modem-configurable-by-TPG/td-p/98463.

I getting no response even though I asked for modem details to be changed.

I am using my HG659 that I repaired a faulty switch. It ran all my hardware fine and had voice service for 9 years with TPG.

I replaced it with VR1600v but its Wi-Fi capabilities were sub-par and meant that I would have to add other network hardware to get what I had with my older HG659.

I can not understand why modem details for telephone service have to be changed at TPG and why I am forced to have TPG configure the service. Before I was with TPG I configured modem and ATA for VOIP service on the device and it did not matter the brand/model of the device and with a few settings it was quick and easy. No 9 days waiting for the ISP to change the details of your modem.

I need the modem details changed as my loyalty is waning very quickly.

2 REPLIES 2
Shane

Hi @stegil ,

The modem we provide is a modem and we’ve optimised the setup to complement our specifically configured modem settings.We provide the modem for all our NBN plans as they are sold as an Internet & Home Phone Bundle. 

TPG NBN and TPG ADSL2+ are using different technology, I can agree that with TPG ADSL service the VoIP can be configure on any brand/model of modem/router. However, as the Home Phone component of your bundle is encrypted for security, you will need to use our modem if you are to make and receive phone calls.

As you mentioned on this post, you wish to use the old HG659 again. If you wish to proceed with this send me a private message with your best contact number and preferred time tomorrow. Also include the Serial Number and the MAC address of the Huawei HG659.

How do I private message (PM) in the community 

Please do not create a new thread to avoid redundancy and confusion.

@stegil wrote:

Background for this https://community.tpg.com.au/t5/Modems-and-Devices/Is-this-modem-configurable-by-TPG/td-p/98463.

I getting no response even though I asked for modem details to be changed.

I am using my HG659 that I repaired a faulty switch. It ran all my hardware fine and had voice service for 9 years with TPG.

I replaced it with VR1600v but its Wi-Fi capabilities were sub-par and meant that I would have to add other network hardware to get what I had with my older HG659.

I can not understand why modem details for telephone service have to be changed at TPG and why I am forced to have TPG configure the service. Before I was with TPG I configured modem and ATA for VOIP service on the device and it did not matter the brand/model of the device and with a few settings it was quick and easy. No 9 days waiting for the ISP to change the details of your modem.

I need the modem details changed as my loyalty is waning very quickly.

stegil
Level 2

Finally got action and I have phone service. I am happy it works but this experience raised questions about the quality of hardware and my choice. I will raise this at a later time.