TPG Community

Get online support

5g channel at home drops out

zorawu0102
Level 3
Hi everyone,

I have been on the nbn home plan since 2019 with both 2.4g and 5g channels working. But recent few months the 5g one often drops out and now it doesn’t appear on devices even if I restart the router. Any chance you know what should I do? Is it a modem issue? Using the archer vr 1600v
7 REPLIES 7
zorawu0102
Level 3
5g shows enabled and connected on the modem interface too, but not showing on wifi list of any devices.
Shane

Hi @zorawu0102.

Welcome to the community! Are all devices unable to detect the 5Ghz wireless channel? If so, try to do the following below.

• Re-name the Wireless network then reboot, see if the Wireless network is showing to the devices.
  • If only 1 device is affected try to reboot the device itself not the modem.
  • Turn off the 2.4Ghz wireless network and turn on only the 5Ghz wi-fi.

In the event the issue still persists, perform a Factory Reset however by doing this you will have to reconfigure the modem by re-entering TPG username and password also setup the Wireless network both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz.

Let us know how it will go.

Cheers!

5g shows enabled and connected on the modem interface too, but not showing on wifi list of any devices.
Hi everyone,

I have been on the nbn home plan since 2019 with both 2.4g and 5g channels working. But recent few months the 5g one often drops out and now it doesn’t appear on devices even if I restart the router. Any chance you know what should I do? Is it a modem issue? Using the archer vr 1600v
zorawu0102
Level 3
Hi Shane,

Thank you for the instructions. I have tried them including reset to factory settings, which worked for a few hours and now the 5g is dropped out again. So it now shows up on device but cannot be connected. Either with “wifi cannot be found” or “unable to join” error. Tried restart device, forgot the wifi and turn client device wifi on and off, none worked. My multiple devices are effected.
So to sum up, 5g shows up on device wifi sometimes, picked up on wireless scanner, but cannot be connected. Smiley Sad
zorawu0102
Level 3
Also the renaming didn’t work, it restarted and comes up with old name. And after disable 2.4g the 5g still cannot be joined.
Shane

Sad to learn that factory reset did not work, send me a Private Message with your account details (Username/Customer ID together with the address on file) also include your best contact number and preferred time. We'll have one of our Technicians to contact you for real-time test and investigation.

Hi Shane,

Thank you for the instructions. I have tried them including reset to factory settings, which worked for a few hours and now the 5g is dropped out again. So it now shows up on device but cannot be connected. Either with “wifi cannot be found” or “unable to join” error. Tried restart device, forgot the wifi and turn client device wifi on and off, none worked. My multiple devices are effected.
So to sum up, 5g shows up on device wifi sometimes, picked up on wireless scanner, but cannot be connected. Smiley Sad
Also the renaming didn’t work, it restarted and comes up with old name. And after disable 2.4g the 5g still cannot be joined.
Jodi_Chan
Level 2

Hi there I am experiencing exactly the same for couple of days now. I've tried everything you said but still not working at all.  Please help! 

Aubrey

Welcome to TPG Community @Jodi_Chan!

Are you only having trouble with the 5GHz wifi network? How about when connected to the 2.4GHz? Have you tried the troubleshooting steps above as recommended by Shane? If yes, send us a private message with your details like the customer ID or username so we can take a closer look at your connection. 

Thanks!