TPG Community

Get online support

Google Nest wifi router

pinkpuppys7
Level 2
Hi new here, just bought the google home nest wifi router and when I plug it into the WAN port of the tp-link vr1600v modem provided by tpg it fails the Internet connection. I also tried plugging it into one of the LAN ports which does nothing. Can somebody provide a step by step guide how to set this up at all please and thankyou
5 REPLIES 5
david64
Master

Hi @pinkpuppys7 . There's a couple of options depending on the type of NBN connection. What type do you have? (What type of NBN box.)

pinkpuppys7
Level 2
My connection is NBN FBBN 50/20 I believe. I don't have the external nbn box on the outside of the house just the Archer VR1600v modem router
david64
Master

@pinkpuppys7 . With fibre to the building or fibre to the node, you need the Archer to connect to the telephone wall socket.

If you want to use the VOIP phone service with TPG, the Archer has to run in normal mode. You need to get it working this way to do any configuration. If you want this, the Google has to be an access point, which means you lose some of its functionality.

If you don't want the VOIP service, you can put the Archer into bridge mode and the Google will run as a proper router with all its functions.

Either way, the Google WAN port connects to the Archer LAN port.

pinkpuppys7
Level 2
Alright then, well the archer is hooked up via phone socket, and I only need it for a modem as I want to use the google as a proper router. How do I set the archer to bridge mode?
david64
Master

@pinkpuppys7 ,

To put Archer in bridge mode, basically delete the DSL connection with vlan id 2 and add new connection.

https://community.tpg.com.au/t5/Modems-and-Devices/Archer-vr1600v-bridge-mode-Totally-confused/m-p/1...

The Google is configured with PPPoE, your username and password.

On the Archer, if the indicator lights for 2.4G and 5G wifi are on, press the wifi switch on the top edge to turn off.