AC1200

SOLVED Go to solution
User12
Level 2
Hello,
Is there a limitation on how many devices can connect to 2.4Ghz?
As water monitoring device which requires 2.4GHz keeps dropping internet connection?
Is there setting in modem to stop once connected to 2.4Ghz not to look for 5Ghz?
Would newer modem prevent this occurring?
How often modem need changing?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
david64
Level 15

@User12 . How often does the water device disconnect?

How does the disconnect show up, or do you just check it from time to time?

Do you have to do anything to make it reconnect?

How many wifi devices that are connecting to the 2.4GHz band?

I want to change the Address Lease Time in the DHCP server. In the manual, it says the default is 120 minutes.    

Go to   Advanced > Network > DHCP Server.   Change to 1440 and Save.

See if that reduces the frequency of disconnects.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
david64
Level 15

Hi @User12 . What model router is it? Different models have different limits. Maybe 16 devices per band.

On yours, do the two bands have different names? Disable band steering. When the water device connects to the 2.4GHz band, it should stay there. If it drops out, it should reconnect to same one.

How far between router and water device? The 2.4GHz band has greater range than 5GHz. You can check signal strength with your mobile phone.

User12
Level 2
The modem is Archer C1200, where or how to find out how many devices each band ie 2.4 GHz can it handle?
Yes, 2.4 has different names.
How do I disable band steering?
Only 3M from router to water device.
Wifi signal strength is both good on mobile and watering device.
david64
Level 15

@User12 . C1200 doesn't do band steering and bands have different names anyhow so it is irrelevant.

Manual doesn't say how many devices. How many do you have? When the router reaches its limit, it should stop adding them.

Try giving the water device a fixed ip address outside the dynamic pool range of the C1200.

Can you look in the router System Log for any messages relating to the MAC address of the water device.

david64
Level 15

@User12 . How often does the water device disconnect?

Disconnect could be caused by interference from cordless phone, microwave or surrounding networks. Does the mobile phone show other networks with strong signal?

Try changing 2.4GHz channel. Use 1 or 6 or 11.

Your wifi laptop can show surrounding networks and details.

netsh show wlan all

User12
Level 2
Used 2.4 with 1,6,11 no luck.
Exact water monitoring device connected to support personnel at their home. No issues
They have newer modem as they signed with Superloop.
So I am wondering is newer modem helps?
User12
Level 2
May I ask how to
"giving the water device a fixed ip address outside the dynamic pool range of the C1200."

" look in the router System Log for any messages relating to the MAC address of the water device."
Thanks

david64
Level 15

@User12 . A new router might help. C1200 is fairly old.

How long has this problem been going?

Do any other wifi devices drop out or just water device?

And it's just wifi disconnect on water device, not internet drop out for everyone?

If you connect your phone to the home wifi and place it next to water device and watch a youtube video, does the video play properly? 

I can't answer your other 2 questions until later.

david64
Level 15

@User12 . How often does the water device disconnect?

How does the disconnect show up, or do you just check it from time to time?

How many wifi devices that are connecting to the 2.4GHz band?

I want to change the Address Lease Time in the DHCP server. In the manual, it says the default is 120 minutes.    

Go to   Advanced > Network > DHCP Server.   Change to 1440 and Save.

See if that reduces the frequency of disconnects.