TPG Community

Get online support

ASUS GT-AX6000 Compatibility for HFC NBN

RPM
Level 2
Level 2

My existing tp-link Archer VR1600v modem/router keeps falling over.

TPG support recommends purchasing a new device as it is now 5 years old.

The ASUS ROG Rapture GT-AX6000 WiFi 6 Extendable Router looks like a good option and is currently on sale.

Would this device be compatible with a NBN HFC connection?

9 REPLIES 9
BasilDV

Hi @RPM 

Depending on the type of service you have with us, the third party router should work.

If you are under the NBN Bundled with VoIP service, then you need to make sure that the device can set the VLAN ID to 2 and use the PPPoE connection type (Use your TPG credentials).

If you are under the NBN data only plan, then any router should work as long as you set the PPPoE connection type and use your TPG account details (UN and PW).

BasilDV

RPM
Level 2
Level 2

Thanks BasilDV,

Was just on the line for close to an hour with TPG.

They advised that the ASUS GT-AX6000 does not support VLAN tagging and I would need to pay $40 extra per month to unbundle my current service to go on a data only plan.

Any suggestions on similar spec modem/routers which do support VLAN ID to 2?

RPM

RPM
Level 2
Level 2

I found another thread that says VLAN tagging is possible on ASUS GT-AX6000 here:

https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/3vw45rrm

Would that work with a TPG HFC connection (with home phone bundle)?

BasilDV

If you are able to configure the device with VLAN ID 2, then yes it should work.

BasilDV

david64
Level 15

So, @BasilDV , what's this nonsense reported by this user about a data-only plan costing an extra $40 per month? Was there some confusion in explaining the requirement or understanding it? (User's fault or TPG's fault?)

BasilDV

Hi @david64

I don't have any information on what type of plan that he has with us to compare it.

He may check it on https://www.tpg.com.au/nbn for comparison.

It will help confirm if his current plan cost $40 lesser than the data only plan.

BasilDV

david64
Level 15

@BasilDV . The critical information summary has this:

Important Note: If you choose to bring your own modem, you will receive
a data-only NBN service. The Voice service component will not be included;
and you will not be able to make or receive calls.

It doesn't say anywhere that data-only plans are more expensive.

RPM
Level 2
Level 2

I was transferred between 5 different people on my call, the first four stated there would be no change to my current plan or cost by moving to a data only plan. The last person however stated that a change would result as the new plan would be under the current pricing structure which is $40 more expensive per month than the legacy rate I am on. All very confusing and I decided not to proceed at that point.

BasilDV

Hi @RPM 

We'd like to confirm the information that was given to you.

Kindly send us a private message with your account details for us to check on what we can arrange for you.

BasilDV