TPG Community

Get online support

All lan ports cut out yet Wifi still works

DJCocker
Level 2

All, 

I've had consistent problems with the Archer unit for a yr or two now with random cut outs (with NBN reporting no known outages) and the unit not reestablishing wifi after a network loss(NBN has reported a known outage). These have been minor irritations with a modem power on/off cycle usually fixing the issue. Lately however I've had a serious intermittent issue with ALL LAN plugs losing internet while the wifi is still fine. 

I've tried the usual problem-solving activities such as powering on and off, trying various combinations of ports on the back of the unit, and inspecting all cables (and trying new cables), all to no avail. after between 1-4 hours the problem resolves and Lan comes back but this isn't good enough, I cannot lose internet to my desktops for hours at a time while working from home.

I believe HFC is being used to bring the connection in, the NBN modem box works fine. 

I'd rather not deal with another Archer unit or anything to do with TP-link. What are my options for a replacement unit? can I get away with a router only (no modem) with WIFI? Would something such as the D-link N300 G225 be a suitable modem/router replacement?

5 REPLIES 5
BasilDV

Hi @DJCocker

Have you tried a factory reset? If not, it is worth trying before we conclude that the unit is faulty.

The only available modem/router that we can provide is TP-Link, but we have a new model. If your device is still under warranty, then if proven faulty, we can request for a replacement.

If it's already out of warranty and you don't want the TP-Link, you have the option to purchase a 3rd party modem/router.

Check this article for some lists of non TPG supplied modem/router.

BasilDV

DJCocker
Level 2

Hi @BasilDV 

I'm not sure if the unit is still under warranty, the unit is the VR1600v was supplied around march 2019. If it is not under warranty, I'll source an alternative modem/router from the list. 

Cheers,

Daniel

BasilDV

Hi @DJCocker

We can confirm that the provided modem/router is not under warranty anymore.

Please note that if you are under the NBN bundled internet and VoIP plan, then the VoIP service will not work using the 3rd party device.

If you are under the NBN BYO Data only plan, then you are free to get any 3rd party device you want.

BasilDV

DJCocker
Level 2

Yes, we have our phone service through voip too. Can you please advise how to arrange for a new modem from tpg then?

BasilDV

Hi @DJCocker

Shoot me a PM with your TPG username or customer ID number for us to check on what type of modem/router will be provided.

BasilDV