TPG Community

Get online support

Archer VR1600V - poor wifi (latency and packet loss)

sushiboy
Level 2

Hi,

I have a new HFC NBN service and the Archer VR1600V router is providing poor wifi on both 2.4 and 5GHz networks.

Symptoms are random packet loss and high latency from ping (100-400ms ping times from a wifi client to the router are high).

Coverage is not an issue - the mac has 5 bars strength - and the house is not large. My previous router had no such issues.

Happens on the 5GHz AC network, the 2.4GHz N channel is OK.

I've tried changing channels, plus channel width down to 40 & 20MHz, to no avail.

Firmware is 0.1.0 0.9.1 v5006.0 Build 190228 Rel.72265n

Do you have any suggestions?

Cheers,

Sushi

11 REPLIES 11
Will

Hi @sushiboy,

Thanks for reaching out to us.

Your post initially mentioned you're having trouble on both the 2.4 and 5GHz, however, you mentioned at the end that the issue seems to occur only on the 5GHz. So to clarify, is the former or the latter?

In addition, have you tried setting the mode to A/N/AC mixed rather than AC only?

Kindly post screenshots of your test results as well. We suggest to run the tests on different locations for comparison.

Regards,

Will

sushiboy
Level 2

Hi Will,

Thx for your reply.

The problem is more prevalent on the 5GHz network but has happened less so on the 2.4GHz (sorry, post was not very clear).

The 5GHz network is set to A/N/AC operation.

First screen shot with the three graps is from the MacOS wifi diagnostics app. Second graph is from a program called peak hour which uses upnp to monitor router throughput.

Cheers,

Andrew

Will

Thanks for the screenshots, @sushiboy

May we have a screenshot of the current 5GHz WIFI settings of the modem? We've seen the screenshot on another thread showing the SSID of your network. Can you post (or send the screenshot via PM for privacy) the WIFI settings of the TP-Link VR1600v?

sushiboy
Level 2

@Will - thx, PM sent

Will

Got the screenshots @sushiboy.

This is indeed a curious case since there doesn't seem to be anything off with the settings. If you haven't done it yet, can you perform a modem reset?

Refrain from customizing the WIFI settings after the modem reset. Test first if the WIFI connection works properly (this includes the issue about the X3 code) using the default settings alone.

sushiboy
Level 2

Hi @Will - I have done a power off reset, but no change. Do you need me to reset the model to factory reset? Will I lose the config neccessary to connect to the NBN if I do that? Thx.

BasilDV

Hi @sushiboy,

The settings will go back to its default, once you've reset the modem/router and will automatically reconnect/authenticate to the server after a few minutes.

The other settings that you've changed before will be lost.

BasilDV

sushiboy
Level 2

Thx @Will, @BasilDV 

Have done a factory reset of the router and seen it re-provision - all good.

Only thing I have done since the rest is to set up the wireless SSID and password; all other wireless settings unchanged. The problem I described earlier still persists.

Any ideas?

BasilDV

Thanks for the update @sushiboy

We'll arrange a call from our Tech team to check on this further.

Please send me a PM with your preferred time and best number to be contacted tomorrow.

How do I private message (PM) in the community

BasilDV