TPG Community

Get online support

Archer VR1600v AC1600 modem router with voip

SOLVED Go to solution
mmarysej54
Level 2

Hi there,

Is the Archer VR1600v AC1600 modem router with voip  an actual AC Modem/Router?

and if so it is set at 802.11b/g/n mixed as I did not see any AC settings

Do I need an AC wireless adapter in my laptop if it is an AC modem to benefit?

Any help is appreciated

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SteveK
Level 5

Yes, just leave the 2.4GHZ settings as is... and change the 5GHZ settings to ac/n - then when you plug the adapter into the Laptop you select the 5GHZ band.

@mmarysej54 

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
Shane

Hi @mmarysej54 ,

Welcome to the community!

We raised this to our Engineering Team for clarification, well provide you an update when it becomes available.

Cheers! 

SteveK
Level 5

@mmarysej54 wrote:

if so it is set at 802.11b/g/n mixed as I did not see any AC settings

Do I need an AC wireless adapter in my laptop if it is an AC modem to benefit?

Any help is appreciated

Yes it is AC

You currently have it set on 2.4GHZ settings

Yes you need AC adapter for AC benefit (5GHZ)

mmarysej54
Level 2

Thanks Steve,

Q 1: What would the settings be after I fit a dual band AC wireless adapter as I beleive it can alternate between the two bands as needed?

Q 2: As it is now set at 802.11b/g/n mixed can I keep the mixed sttings  with an AC wireless adapter as my WiFi Internet radio that is connected to my sound system only works on 802. 11 b / g (GHz)?

Q 3: if I cannot get an AC adapter to fit my Alienware M18xR2 laptop how will that affect performance if I go for a standard dual band adapter?

Q4: What are the noticable changes I will see going with an AC adapter for the AC modem?

Thanks for your assistance

Michael

SteveK
Level 5

@mmarysej54 wrote:

Thanks Steve,

Q 1: What would the settings be after I fit a dual band AC wireless adapter as I beleive it can alternate between the two bands as needed?

-- You would need to set your 5GHZ setting to A/C.  (I use 5GHZ  A/C, N)

Q 2: As it is now set at 802.11b/g/n mixed can I keep the mixed sttings  with an AC wireless adapter as my WiFi Internet radio that is connected to my sound system only works on 802. 11 b / g (GHz)?

- Keep old devices on the 2.4GHZ band as you do now... and only which the 5GHZ A/C / N devices to the new frequency after you install the A/C adapter.

Q 3: if I cannot get an AC adapter to fit my Alienware M18xR2 laptop how will that affect performance if I go for a standard dual band adapter?

- No idea. I have no knowledge of Alienware product performance.

Q4: What are the noticable changes I will see going with an AC adapter for the AC modem?

- faster wifi performance - so better experience.

Thanks for your assistance

Michael

See replies above..  @mmarysej54

mmarysej54
Level 2

Hi Steve,

I said:

Q 2: As it is now set at 802.11b/g/n mixed can I keep the mixed sttings  with an AC wireless adapter as my WiFi Internet radio that is connected to my sound system only works on 802. 11 b / g (GHz)?

You replied:

- Keep old devices on the 2.4GHZ band as you do now... and only which the 5GHZ A/C / N devices to the new frequency after you install the A/C adapter.

Hi Steve, 

As my Smart TV and Internet radio are working on the 802.11b/g/n mixed how do I keep these on the modems settings as they are now and as well as having my laptop set to only 5GHZ A/C / N when I fit a 5GHZ adapter as there does not appear to be any choices in the TPG modem/Router except either 2.4 or 5GHz?

(See screenshot for my TPG Modem Router settings for wireless)

SteveK
Level 5

Yes, just leave the 2.4GHZ settings as is... and change the 5GHZ settings to ac/n - then when you plug the adapter into the Laptop you select the 5GHZ band.

@mmarysej54 

mmarysej54
Level 2

Hi Steve,

It will not be a plug in adapter it will be a new dual band wireless card fitted inside the laptop it will do both 2.4 and 5GHz

as you can see with the screenshot I sent you last message the TPG modem only gives me one choice of either 2.4 or 5GHz?

Where in the modems navigation drop down menu can I change to 5GHZ settings to ac/n cannot see anything anywhere except the 2.4 0r 5ghz choice?

Whitley1
Level 2

Thank you for updating us with the outcome.

Upsers

mmarysej54
Level 2

There has been no outcome yet still waiting on a response