TPG Community

Get online support

Archer VR1600v as access point

biss13
Level 2

Hi there

A quick one, I hope - if I set up my old Archer VR1600v v1 as an access point, will the phone jack still work? My new router doesn't have a phone line connector and I'm hoping to keep a land line working via Archer. 

5 REPLIES 5
Shane

Hey, biss13

The VoIP will only work when using the old Archer VR1600 as the main router. 

[EDIT]

Let us know should you require further assistance.

Cheers!

Hi there

A quick one, I hope - if I set up my old Archer VR1600v v1 as an access point, will the phone jack still work? My new router doesn't have a phone line connector and I'm hoping to keep a land line working via Archer. 

biss13
Level 2
Thanks Shane, but that’s the thing - I don’t want to use it as the main router. It started playing up lately and have to power it down a couple of times every day to restore Wi-Fi connection. An idea is to use it as an access point simply because it has a phone connection and my new router doesn’t. Will VoIP work? I suppose it will depend on whether my new router supports VoIP. And if it doesn’t have a phone connection, the answer is probably not, right? Cheers
Shane

Hey, biss13

Sorry for the confusion, I updated my initial response. The VoIP will only work when the supplied modem/router is used as a Main modem. 

Thanks Shane, but that’s the thing - I don’t want to use it as the main router. It started playing up lately and have to power it down a couple of times every day to restore Wi-Fi connection. An idea is to use it as an access point simply because it has a phone connection and my new router doesn’t. Will VoIP work? I suppose it will depend on whether my new router supports VoIP. And if it doesn’t have a phone connection, the answer is probably not, right? Cheers
biss13
Level 2
Thanks, Shane, I suspected this will be the case. Is there a way to stabilize VR1600v? New firmware? I, currently, have my new router set up as an access point and it works fine for me but, since VR1600v is unstable, the whole setup is flaky. Cheers
Shane

Let us check if there is available new firmware, send us your details (Username/Customer ID together with the address on file) also include the software and hardware version of the modem/router. 

How do I private message (PM) in the community

Regards,

Thanks, Shane, I suspected this will be the case. Is there a way to stabilize VR1600v? New firmware? I, currently, have my new router set up as an access point and it works fine for me but, since VR1600v is unstable, the whole setup is flaky. Cheers