TPG Community

Get online support

Archer VR1600v frequent dropouts requiring reboot of router to fix

SOLVED Go to solution
ajnslng
Level 2

Hi TPG,

I'm encountering frequent dropouts with my router. They will occur up to several times per day. They seem to happen more often when I'm using a large amount of bandwidth (such as downloading a game from Steam). At first I thought it was my computer/wifi drivers, but it happens across all devices on the network (my partner's laptop and our phones). The connection doesn't reconnect/fix itself (I've left it overnight and it doesn't resolve itself). It requires me to log in to the router and reboot it before it will reconnect to the internet.

I might require a firmware update? Otherwise I'm open to any suggestions.

Thankyou

My router details are:

Model: Archer VR1600v v1

Firmware: 0.1.0 0.9.1 v5006.0 Build 200810 Rel.53181n

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Shane

Hi @ajnslng,

Thank you for the clarification, well this is an interesting issue. I would like to confirm if by any chance you are using a 3rd party mesh or router extension. If none, please try to factory reset the modem/router and monitor the network for the next 24-48hrs, If the issue will still persist, we may need to have one of our Technicians to contact you for real-time test and investigations.

Regards,

Hi Shane,

Perhaps I wasn't clear in my initial post - I am not having issues with slow speeds due to congestion. What I'm saying is the internet will completely disconnect, across all devices. And it will only reconnect once I reboot the router either via the admin portal on my computer or by physicall turning the router off at the wall and turning it back on.

I hope that clarifies the issue. I'm perfectly happy with the plan I am on as far as bandwidth.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
ivanchoi83
Level 3

hi @ajnslng ,

Welcome onboard! Same issue here but TPG won't fix it! Suggestion from TPG: Reset, power cycle down, replacement modem......It never ends!

They asked me to do a few test, but no body care to check their email and results.

Shane

Hi @ajnslng ,

Welcome to the community1

Thanks for raising this to us, we're sad to know that you're having issues with the service. I was able to locate the account using your community details and ran an initial test to the service, the test result shows no line fault and the service is getting a passing speed based on your NBN plan.

It is normal that you experience bandwidth congestion when one of the connnected devices are exceeding the allocated download speed based on your plan, at the moment the plan of the service is on NBN12. To avoid this from happening I would recommend to upgrade.

You may visit this for more details, Guide to choosing the best TPG NBN Plan for you .

On the other hand, your modem has the latest firmware version. Let us know how it will go and should you require further assistance.

@ajnslng wrote:

Hi TPG,

I'm encountering frequent dropouts with my router. They will occur up to several times per day. They seem to happen more often when I'm using a large amount of bandwidth (such as downloading a game from Steam). At first I thought it was my computer/wifi drivers, but it happens across all devices on the network (my partner's laptop and our phones). The connection doesn't reconnect/fix itself (I've left it overnight and it doesn't resolve itself). It requires me to log in to the router and reboot it before it will reconnect to the internet.

I might require a firmware update? Otherwise I'm open to any suggestions.

Thankyou

My router details are:

Model: Archer VR1600v v1

Firmware: 0.1.0 0.9.1 v5006.0 Build 200810 Rel.53181n

Shane

Hi @ivanchoi83 ,

I can see that the issue affecting the service has been escalated to our Engineering Team and at the moment still under assessment.

We've seen that they have received the test result that required for the investigation, expect them to contact you via SMS or Phone call when it becomes available.

We will raise this to them for additional reference on the escalated fault.

Regards,

@ivanchoi83 wrote:

hi @ajnslng ,

Welcome onboard! Same issue here but TPG won't fix it! Suggestion from TPG: Reset, power cycle down, replacement modem......It never ends!

They asked me to do a few test, but no body care to check their email and results.

ajnslng
Level 2

Hi Shane,

Perhaps I wasn't clear in my initial post - I am not having issues with slow speeds due to congestion. What I'm saying is the internet will completely disconnect, across all devices. And it will only reconnect once I reboot the router either via the admin portal on my computer or by physicall turning the router off at the wall and turning it back on.

I hope that clarifies the issue. I'm perfectly happy with the plan I am on as far as bandwidth.

Shane

Hi @ajnslng,

Thank you for the clarification, well this is an interesting issue. I would like to confirm if by any chance you are using a 3rd party mesh or router extension. If none, please try to factory reset the modem/router and monitor the network for the next 24-48hrs, If the issue will still persist, we may need to have one of our Technicians to contact you for real-time test and investigations.

Regards,

Hi Shane,

JLB
Level 2
Level 2

I am having exactly the same issue described.

The internet, when it's working, is fine. But it disconnects for seamingly no reason frequently, and the only thing that seems to fix it is rebooting the router. Sometimes the router needs to be rebooted 5 times in an hour, but then it will work for days without a problem!

Can you please advise? Can you push a firmward update please?

Shane

Hi @JLB,

There are different types of dropouts that you may experience:

1. Network dropouts, this dropout is caused by a line fault on TPG or NBN's network. Affecting all device(s) LAN/Wireless connected to the modem/router this may require a real-time test and investigation by our Technicians and Engineers.

2. Wireless dropouts, this issue only affects the device(s) connected via Wi-Fi which can easily be fix by doing adjustment to the modem/router's settings.

3. Dropouts caused by ongoing outage in your area. 

In the event that you experience dropouts via Wireless/Wi-Fi connection, we recommend having a read on the following articles:

• Troubleshooting a Slow Internet Connection

• Easy Steps to Improve Wi-Fi Connection In Your Home

• Wireless Channel on your modem - what is it and why should I change it

If you need further assistance, please send us a private message with your TPG customer ID, username and complete address so we can pull up the account.

To send a PM, please refer to this link: How do I private message (PM) in the community

I am having exactly the same issue described.

The internet, when it's working, is fine. But it disconnects for seamingly no reason frequently, and the only thing that seems to fix it is rebooting the router. Sometimes the router needs to be rebooted 5 times in an hour, but then it will work for days without a problem!

Can you please advise? Can you push a firmward update please?