TPG Community

Get online support

Archer Vr1600v with Orbi RBK50

satebabi889
Level 2
Hi moderator,

If i use archer vr1600v and also ORBI RBK50, do i need to set up archer to bridge mode?
I am on NBN FTTC.
Atm, i connect my orbi internet port to archer lan port as an AP. Not sure if that's the correct way to extend my wifi signal?

Please help
5 REPLIES 5
david64
Level 15

Hi @satebabi889 . Are you using the TPG VOIP phone service with your phone connected to the VR1600? If you are, the VR1600 must stay in normal mode, not bridge mode, and it must be connected to NBN box.

If you do not use the VOIP phone service, consider connecting the Orbi to the NBN box. Its wifi might be sufficient by itself. Do a factory reset to get it back to normal. You need to set VLAN ID=2. See this section in the manual:

Set up a bridge for a VLAN tag group.

satebabi889
Level 2
Hi @david64

I do not use voip phone with archer.
So you were saying if i dont use voip, i do not need to use archer at all? And just connect orbi directly to nbn box?
Will it work? As i understand that orbi is only router but not modem. Or nbn box itself works as modem? And archer works as router only? (Which exactly same as orbi)

And what other things i need to do beside setting orbi to vlan id=2 ?

david64
Level 15

@satebabi889 . With fttc, nbn box is modem, orbi is router. Archer not needed. 

Look at archer config. Put these settings in orbi. PPPoE. Userid as shown in archer and password.

The orbi manual has instructions on setting vlan id.

satebabi889
Level 2
@david64

Thank you for the info, will give it a try soon and keep updated here. Smiley Happy

Cheers
david64
Level 15

@satebabi889 . Here is a help article from iiNet for Orbi. They use vlan id=2.

https://help.iinet.net.au/how-set-netgear-orbi-rbk50-nbn-fttc