TPG Community

Get online support

Archer vr1600v as access point

hkarask
Level 2

I configured the 2nd router to have a different subnet and get a dynamic IP from the main router, seems to be working quite well.

bryanjcrosby
Level 2

Just to query, how does that work, please ? Did you mean that you put extra WAP on different subnet truly? e.g. connected router on 192.168.1.1 and your extra WAP on 192.168.0.1 , both with subnet 255.255.255.0? Because if they are on different subnet, how will the second WAP communicate DHCP requests to router ?

If you specify DHCP to be 192.168.1.1 on the extra WAP, what does that mean will happen. Can you please elaborate, because I think a lot of people would benefit from understanding what you did to get the secondary WAP working and connecting wireless connections to internet ! ?

Well I tried a few things including putting  VR1600V secondary WAP on other subnet. As flagged, that did not work. However when I messed around , I did set Internet Connection Type to DynamicIP and MTU size to same as primary router. It was at default of 1500 on VR1600V, I reduced it to 1480. The MTU may be  irrelevant. You know what it is like, you madly chage things late at night and are not sure what worked. :-). I also had setup static IP on VR1600v outside of 1st DHCP list, and set up wireless security as previous posters.

TP Link VR1600v set up as 2nd WAPTP Link VR1600v set up as 2nd WAP

hh1460
Level 2

I think you are confused about subnet mask and network (subnet).

A subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 can use from 1 to 254 hosts from the fourth octec. You can change the network on the 3rd octec.

192.168.0.1 and 192.168.1.1 are in different networks, and have the same subnet mask.

What do you mean by a WAP? a wireless access point? if it is an access point is wireless, if it is a network switch is often wired.

Normaly on the network switch (in your case access point) you will have a cable running from the WAN connection to the main router any ethernet port. The main router is then the gateway that can forward packets to the Internet.

It is better to have them in the same network (0), so if the main router is on 192.168.0.1, get the access point to be on 192.168.0.2 for example.

You will be able to ping one another as they are in the same network.

edm_2000
Level 2

Hi all,

I have read this entire thread it seems like there is no solution to configuring the Archer vr1600 as an access point. I have two Archer's vr1600 and trying to use the second one as an Access Point. So far I have tried every suggestion in this thread to no success and wasted a huge amount of hours. Very frustrating.

So my questions are:

1. Has anyone been able to make this work?

2. If so, could you please post a detailed config step by step?

Really appreciate the help.

Thanks

Shane

Are you trying to connect the 2nd Archer Vr1600 via Wi-FIi? If this is the case, it will not work. Try these., using the TP-Link as the main modem/router  change the connection mode to "DHCP mode" and connect the 2nd router to one of the LAN port. Make sure you disable the Wi-Fi of the TP-Link and use the router extension's Wireless Network.

You can visit this link for reference. Connect Asus RT-AC88U to Huawei HG659.

Hi all,

I have read this entire thread it seems like there is no solution to configuring the Archer vr1600 as an access point. I have two Archer's vr1600 and trying to use the second one as an Access Point. So far I have tried every suggestion in this thread to no success and wasted a huge amount of hours. Very frustrating.

So my questions are:

1. Has anyone been able to make this work?

2. If so, could you please post a detailed config step by step?

Really appreciate the help.

Thanks