TPG Community

Get online support

Archer vr1600v bridge mode - Totally confused.

chrisgrind
Level 2

thanks. I must have a faulty device, I've done this countless times trying to get it working, with mutiple devices behind it (pfsense, openWRT), and none of them will pick up an IP on the WAN port via the bridged vr1600v

david64
Level 15

@chrisgrind . Factory reset Archer, put in your details, and connect to the phone socket.

If DSL light stays off, it could be a blown DSL port or there is a line fault.

Check the Archer system log. If there are PPP messages, the router is not receiving frames from the phone line.

orbistat
Level 8

@chrisgrind wrote:

thanks. I must have a faulty device, I've done this countless times trying to get it working, with mutiple devices behind it (pfsense, openWRT), and none of them will pick up an IP on the WAN port via the bridged vr1600v

Once the VR1600v is bridged it's simply a modem, you'll lose connectivity to it's web management page. The VLAN 2 Id needs to be set in the WAN interface of the now seperate router as you're not using the VR1600v for routing.

You're external router's WAN port should be connected to a LAN port on the VR1600v (not it's WAN port) set up a PPPoE connection with just TPG username and password and Vlan 2 enabled for that connection.

chrisgrind
Level 2

@orbistat wrote:

@chrisgrind wrote:

Once the VR1600v is bridged it's simply a modem, you'll lose connectivity to it's web management page. The VLAN 2 Id needs to be set in the WAN interface of the now seperate router as you're not using the VR1600v for routing.

You're external router's WAN port should be connected to a LAN port on the VR1600v (not it's WAN port) set up a PPPoE connection with just TPG username and password and Vlan 2 enabled for that connection.

thanks, this is what I have tried to do. Just having no luck with it. When i reference the WAN port, I meant on pfsense/openWRT

I've got a dual NIC computer with PFsense running. Also tried an old modem/router and did a custom firmware with openWRT and it won't pick up an IP address either.

chrisgrind
Level 2

@david64 wrote:

@chrisgrind . Factory reset Archer, put in your details, and connect to the phone socket.

If DSL light stays off, it could be a blown DSL port or there is a line fault.

Check the Archer system log. If there are PPP messages, the router is not receiving frames from the phone line.

thanks. The archer works ok when connected as a modem/router, but as soon as it goes to bridge mode, it appears to not pass data. This is with vlan 2 set.

david64
Level 15

@chrisgrind . Are all the Archer lan ports working?

You mention an old modem/router. With Archer in bridge mode (with vlan id), can you connect the old router running in standard mode (no vlan id) to the Archer and get internet connection?

Do you have packet capture software (eg. Wireshark) on your computer? See if Archer is sending frames on its lan ports.