Block VPN

SOLVED Go to solution
bulent
Level 2

Hi Riezl,

My customer ID is xxxxxxx. I want to block accessing VPN through my VR1600R Router. My kids are bypassing my  parerntal controls by using VPN.

Can you please help me to restrict access to VPN services?

Thanks

Bulent

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
david64
Level 15

Hi @bulent . Look at Advanced, Security, Service Filtering.

The devices you want to restrict need fixed ip addresses on your home network to allow the rules to work all the time.

There are 4 VPN service types with standard port numbers used. But, maybe all VPN providers don't use the standard port numbers. And usually there is a VPN client software on the user's computer. If the "VPN site" is acting as a proxy, it is just normal web traffic.

You might try to blacklist the VPN web site so they can't connect to it, but there are probably thousands around the world.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Shane

Hi @bulent,

Welcome to the community!

Thanks for raising this to us.  If you know the port used by the VPN you can simply block it on the modem/router's configuration. We raised this with our Network Engineering Team on how to do this on our supplied TP-Link Vr1600.

Regards,

Hi Riezl,

My customer ID is xxxxxxx. I want to block accessing VPN through my VR1600R Router. My kids are bypassing my  parerntal controls by using VPN.

Can you please help me to restrict access to VPN services?

Thanks

Bulent

david64
Level 15

Hi @bulent . Look at Advanced, Security, Service Filtering.

The devices you want to restrict need fixed ip addresses on your home network to allow the rules to work all the time.

There are 4 VPN service types with standard port numbers used. But, maybe all VPN providers don't use the standard port numbers. And usually there is a VPN client software on the user's computer. If the "VPN site" is acting as a proxy, it is just normal web traffic.

You might try to blacklist the VPN web site so they can't connect to it, but there are probably thousands around the world.

bulent
Level 2
Hi @david64,
Thank you very much for the information. I tried restricting 4 VPN services as you described but it gave Error 9003 for the last 2, VPN-PPTP and OpenVPN. It didn't accept neither a single IP address nor a range for these two.
Regards