TPG Community

Get online support

Buying a new 6th gen wifi router

SOLVED Go to solution
yogihallam
Level 2

To anyone.

I want to buy a new 6th gen wifi router, but am unsure if it will be compatable with TPG.  Do i connect it to the NBN box, or do I piggy back it off the archer 1600v modem/router already provided by TPG.  I am aware I will lose my Voip function, which I don't use anyway.  Any advice would be most helpful.  Also how hard is to setup, and can I get assistance from TPG Technical.

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
luisc

Hi

You bes choice is to use TPG as bridge.

https://community.tpg.com.au/t5/Modems-and-Devices/How-to-turn-on-bridge-mode-on-the-TP-Link-1600v/t...

In any case we provide you a support on TPG device, but not on third party device.

Good luck

View solution in original post

PeterW

Hello yogihallam,

Thank you for being a part of the TPG Community, I hope the following answers your questions.

The type of NBN connection you have will depend on the connection you use.

- for FTTN and FTTB you connect to a standard telephone outlet with nothing else connected to any extra outlets. Make sure your modem is VDSL/VDSL2 compatible

- for FTTP, HFC and FTTC you connect directly to the nbn box using the WAN port on your new modem

- alternatively using your TPG modem simply connect your new modem to a LAN port, this will allow your VOIP service to function.

- most modems come with a Quick Setup and/or Wizard to guide you through the setup and

- yes although we don't take responsibility for 3rd party devices we will do our best to assist.

Ihope that helps

Regards

PeterW

PeterW

Hi yogihallam,

The modem you have mentioned should work fine with FTTC just keep in mind if you wish to utilise the VOIP service you will need to connect your new router to a LAN port on your TPG modem.

All the best.

Regards

PeterW

6 REPLIES 6
luisc

Hi

You bes choice is to use TPG as bridge.

https://community.tpg.com.au/t5/Modems-and-Devices/How-to-turn-on-bridge-mode-on-the-TP-Link-1600v/t...

In any case we provide you a support on TPG device, but not on third party device.

Good luck

PeterW

Hello yogihallam,

Thank you for being a part of the TPG Community, I hope the following answers your questions.

The type of NBN connection you have will depend on the connection you use.

- for FTTN and FTTB you connect to a standard telephone outlet with nothing else connected to any extra outlets. Make sure your modem is VDSL/VDSL2 compatible

- for FTTP, HFC and FTTC you connect directly to the nbn box using the WAN port on your new modem

- alternatively using your TPG modem simply connect your new modem to a LAN port, this will allow your VOIP service to function.

- most modems come with a Quick Setup and/or Wizard to guide you through the setup and

- yes although we don't take responsibility for 3rd party devices we will do our best to assist.

Ihope that helps

Regards

PeterW

yogihallam
Level 2

Hi Peter

I will probably purchase TP-Link Archer AX6000 6th Gen WiFi Router.  Confirming that I have FTTC NBN, so I can connect to the NBN box.  Is this correct?

PeterW

Hi yogihallam,

The modem you have mentioned should work fine with FTTC just keep in mind if you wish to utilise the VOIP service you will need to connect your new router to a LAN port on your TPG modem.

All the best.

Regards

PeterW

yogihallam
Level 2

Thanks Peter for the advice.

Grasmo
Level 2

Hi PeterW

I have recently purchased a TP-Link Archer AX1800 (h/w version AX20 v2.6) which I haven't been able to connect to the NBN (FTTN). In the light of your comments to yogihallam, would I be better to use my old Archer VR1600v as a modem and bridge it to the AX 1800? Is this likely to result in better or worse performance than just using the VR1600v as a modem/router?

Thanks in anticipation,

Grasmo

@PeterW wrote:

Hi yogihallam,

All the best.

Regards

PeterW