TPG Community

Get online support

CM8200B P2 modem requires frequent resetting

hughee
Level 2

Hi all,

Looking for ideas as to why my NBN modem dropped down to 0.2 mbps over the past 3 days and stayed there. After finally getting through to TPG via chat, I was told to reset the NBN modem, and this worked great for all of an hour or two, dont know exactly how long as I was out when it dropped the speed again. At least I know I can get the speed back but I don't think I should be having to press reset on the modem every few hours, as this seems rediculous.
Is there any way to check whether the modem itself is faulty or perhaps the fault lies somewhere else on the line? I dont have a spare modem to try, any ideas appreciated, thank you.

2 REPLIES 2
BasilDV

Hi @hughee

For customers experiencing any issues with their NBN service, we recommend the best thing to do first is check if there's an outage on the NBN network.

We have created this article that can guide you on How to Check for NBN Network Outage

If there are no known outages in your area, customers can proceed with the troubleshooting steps indicated on this link : https://www.tpg.com.au/support/nbn-hfc-cable/problems_speed_nbn_hfc

An article is available to help you troubleshoot a Slow speed issue.

For NBN 12/1 speed tier, make sure that no device is consuming the 1 Mbps Upload bandwidth as it may cause traffic within your network that will result to a slow speed issue. You may also upgrade your plan to NBN 50/20 for better bandwidth and experience.

BasilDV

hughee
Level 2

Hi Basil, it was through the TPG technicians that I was given the source of the problem, at random intervals throughout the day the modem NBN (black box modem) speed drops from 11mbps down to less than 1mbps and really well below that most times. This can happen even when I am not downloading or uploading anything. According to TPG the line is fine, it's the NBN supplied Arris modem thats the problem (theres been no planned maintenance or otherwise fault on this line). I have contacted the NBN 3 or 4 days ago, I got a robot response with a number saying they would get back to me, however I'm still waiting. The Modem will usually sit at the 1mbps or even less speed for hours if I let it, however just a 10 second reset is all it takes to reboot the modem and connect back up at 11mbps. So thank you for the response but i have been there and done that with TPG's techs, I really need NBN to let me know whats going on, either their modem is at fault or theres a random fault somewhere in their line. I was hoping maybe someone else had had a similar experience. Thanks anyway. Resetting is the only way I can get the speed back, never fails.