TPG Community

Get online support

Can I use the Archer VR1600v modem/router with a mesh router network

hortonrg
Level 2

I am looking at Mesh routers and want to confirm that my Archer VR1600v modem/router is compatible with 

Asus ZenWiFi XT8 Ai Mesh AX6600 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 6 System

7 REPLIES 7
david64
Level 15

Hi @hortonrg . Are you keeping the Archer because of its RJ11 connector or because you want the VOIP phone function? 

The Asus can function as standard wifi router connected to NBN box, or as access point or extender to Archer.

BasilDV

Hi @hortonrg

We can't confirm the compatibility of the device, but you may check it directly with the manufacturer.

Ideally, any Mesh or access point should work with the main modem/router as long as it is configured correctly.

BasilDV

Bobby1Kenobe
Level 2

Hi @hortonrg,

I'm also looking to add the Asus XT8 AX6600 to my TPG service as the original modem/router provided by TPG (Archer VR1600v) has a rubbish WiFi signal. Did you have any luck with getting any compatability information between the two? (as we would have to plug in the Asus to the Archer)  I'm a bit hesitant to fork out $++ for the Asus to later find out they are not compatible. If you can pls share any of your findings so far that would be much appreciated. 

Cheers, Andrew

hortonrg
Level 2

Hi Andrew,

Yes, info was from JB HiFi and it works fine. It has made an amazing difference. Yes the ariel on the Archer is rubbish and I did think of just buying better ariel or a cheaper mesh network however my partner and I are both working from home dependent on video calls and streaming services. My partners office is at the furthest point in our double story house from the modem. We put a node in her office and connected it to her laptop via an ethernet cable. She is no longer having to turn her video off all the time in meetings and is now getting speeds the same as directly wired into the modem, about 270 Mbps. The only challenge I am having is with the Sonos system. I am not sure if it is because of the high fangled security but the only way I have worked out to get the system to recognise each sonos device is to connect via an ethernet cable first. Once done they can be deployed however it has been a pain.

hortonrg
Level 2

Hi David,

Yes we still have a cordless phone that requires a telephone jack input which the Archer has and the Asus Zen WiFi does not. Having said this, we never ring on it and the only calls we get is from our 90 year old aunt or robo spam calls. We have a Hybrid Fibre Coaxial NBN connection. Does the Asus ZenWiFi work directly with these?

david64
Level 15

@hortonrg . The Asus should work when directly connected to NBN box. It uses the normal settings as well as setting VLAN ID=2. 

This iiNet article for the Asus AC68U shows how to set vlan id; it has similar menu layout to the Zen.

https://help.iinet.net.au/how-set-asus-rt-ac68u-nbn-hfc

Alternative is to put VR1600 into bridge mode (it does vlan id processing) and Asus does PPPoE/DHCP processing (without vlan id). Cordless phone does not work in this mode.

Bobby1Kenobe
Level 2

Thanks @hortonrg , 

Really appreciate your feedback, very valuable. Same here, both my missus and I working from home, plus 2 of our kiddos doing school zoom calls throughtout the day, is making extremely dificult doing work video calls. I'm planing to pick up the Asus Mesh router from JBHiFi in the next few days. Hopefully all goes well, might be in touch in case I have any hiccups. Weird about the Sonos, hopefully it gets all sorted. 

Cheers, Andrew