Can't setup new modem

mhabgood
Level 3

I'm not having any success seting up a new modem (TP-LINK DECO X20 DSL).

The setup app proceeds up until trying to connect to the internet and then fails.

I need to factory reset the modem each time.

How do I find out if I have the correct username and password for my PPPoE connection?

I have tried every password I have ever used for my TPG account, including the one I used to login to my account and access this board, but still cant setup a connection.

Before taking the brand new modem back for a refund as faulty, I'd like to check I am actually using the correct details.

My old modem doesn't show me the password, just a row of dots.

If I change my TPG account password, will this also change the modem connection password?

5 REPLIES 5
Shane

Hi @mhabgood

We created an article that you may find helpful you may use this as a guide to setup the TP-Link DECO X20, see the link below.

How to set up TP-Link Deco BYO modem for NBN

On the other hand, changing your TPG password will not update the settings on the modem/router's configuration you will have to manually update it using the new credentials.

You may reset your TPG password online, check this article. Forgot your TPG account password?

Let us know how it will go. 

Can't setup new modem

I'm not having any success seting up a new modem (TP-LINK DECO X20 DSL).

The setup app proceeds up until trying to connect to the internet and then fails.

I need to factory reset the modem each time.

How do I find out if I have the correct username and password for my PPPoE connection?

I have tried every password I have ever used for my TPG account, including the one I used to login to my account and access this board, but still cant setup a connection.

Before taking the brand new modem back for a refund as faulty, I'd like to check I am actually using the correct details.

My old modem doesn't show me the password, just a row of dots.

If I change my TPG account password, will this also change the modem connection password?

bjsutilities
Level 2

I'm having the exact same issue as you with the exact same DECO X20 DSL.

I get through to set up my WIFI username/password, and it connects to my device okay but then the light turns red and I have to reset the DECO.

I know for sure I am using the correct TPG username and password with PPPoE... 

Did you figure out any solution @mhabgood 

Could there be anything else I can check? @Shane 

BasilDV

Hi @bjsutilities

Do you know if you are under the NBN data only plan or NBN bundled with VoIP plan?

If you are under the bundled plan, then you need to set the VLAN ID to 2 along with the PPPoE configuration.

Shoot me a PM with your TPG username or customer ID number to check this further.

BasilDV

bjsutilities
Level 2

I've just managed to get it going - had to set VLAN ID to 2.

Thanks.

BasilDV

Glad that you were able to configure your device @bjsutilities.

Have a good day!

BasilDV