TPG Community

Get online support

Canon Printer - Not connecting to 5G modem

DVV
Level 2
Level 2

Dear Community memebers,

We just switched from NBM to 5G. Our Canon printer MB5360 connected wirelessly to all our computer with preious router.

For some reason it cant connect to 5g Modem.

Please let me know if there is solution otherwise we might have to move back to NBN.

Thank you.

4 REPLIES 4
david64
Level 15

Hi @DVV . Can the printer be connected to the router by ethernet cable?

Previously, did the printer connect to the SSID of the router by selecting the network and entering the password, or, using WPS function? It would get an ip address from the router.

Or, did the computers connect to the printer's wifi network?

Can you disable AP Isolation in the router's wireless settings?

Does the printer detect the router's SSID? What happens when you try to connect? Error message?

DVV
Level 2
Level 2

Hi David,

Thanks a lot for your message. 

After my post I realised TV couldnt connect to the new modem as well.

I called TPG tech support. I spent over an 1.45 hrs with TPG tech to resolve and they said the SAGEMCOM modem doesnt have band steering. Then it took another 2-3 to get connected to the right person to return the modem. However thre modem is still with me.

Can the printer be connected to the router by ethernet cable? No, USB connection is available. My printer is Canon MB5360

Previously, did the printer connect to the SSID of the router by selecting the network (yes) and entering the password, or, using WPS function? (After I switched back to the old NBN router I used WPS to connect) It would get an ip address from the router. 

Or, did the computers connect to the printer's wifi network? (No)

Can you disable AP Isolation in the router's wireless settings? ( I can try but I havent done this before but shouldnt be too difficult  )

Does the printer detect the router's SSID? What happens when you try to connect? Error message? With the printer is says Unable to connect to access point. With the TV it doesnt connect.

Thanks again for your help.

Regards, DVV

david64
Level 15

@DVV . You should be able to verify band steering is off in the router.

AP isolation being on or off won't stop devices connecting. It needs to be off to allow a wifi device to connect to the wifi printer.

Did the printer and tv allow you to enter the new wifi password? 

What is the security setting (wpa, wpa2) in the router compared to what the printer and tv accept?

DVV
Level 2
Level 2

You should be able to verify band steering is off in the router. When i logged into the modem via browser. YThere was no option to band steer. tech spoke to his tech support and said its not available.

AP isolation being on or off won't stop devices connecting. It needs to be off to allow a wifi device to connect to the wifi printer. OK

Did the printer and tv allow you to enter the new wifi password?  No, we we didnt get that far. Both devices were not recognising the new modem.

What is the security setting (wpa, wpa2) in the router compared to what the printer and tv accept? I dont know answer to this question.