TPG Community

Get online support

Changing files on USB drive connected to Huawei HG659 router

SOLVED Go to solution
Russjb
Level 2

I have connected a USB drive to my Huawei HG659 router and have managed to access it from my remote iMac and see the files (ethernet cable connection), however, when I try to add files / make changes, I either get the jiggly box (incorrect user name/password) or a messsage to say that I don't have permission to make changes. I have tried a few possibilities for user names and passwords but with no success. I created a user in the Sharing tab of the router management page but using this gives the jiggly box and if I use the login for my profile on the iMac itself, I get the "don't have permission" message. Any suggestions? Many thianks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Russjb
Level 2

Well, it looks like I've ended up solving my own problem.

Apparently, the Huawei router doesn't like Macs. I tried redormatting the USB storage as NTFS and now, everything works fine. Interesting that when the drive was formatted for Mac, I couldn't change anything from my iMac but when formatted for a PC, it works.

Go figure.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
david64
Level 15

Hi @Russjb . Have you read the USB storage section in the manual? There is the FTP method and the SAMBA method. With FTP, you logon to the server with a specified userid and password. With SAMBA, it may be tied to your device credentials. The manual doesn't give fine detail about "file sharing path" or privilege.

Russjb
Level 2

Hi @david64 

Yes, I have the manual and I set it to SAMBA. In the manual, it says to then open a browser and type \\192.168.1.1 into the address bar, but that just launches an internet search, which doesn't seem helpful. I didn't try FTP because there is another link in the managment page after it, "FTP Share path", which when clicked, only ends up back at the management page and I didn't know where to go from there.

david64
Level 15

@Russjb .

Have a look at this topic:

https://community.tpg.com.au/t5/Broadband-Internet/USB-Drive-Sharing-with-Huawei-HG659-Solved/m-p/88...

Regarding "open a browser and type \\192.168.1.1 into the address bar", if you were using Windows, I'd say you need to map a network drive. It would show up in Windows Explorer.

Russjb
Level 2

Yes, I saw that one, but I'm using a Mac.

I've even tried creating a second user on the management page in Sharing, but that didn't work either. I can connect and acces the USB ok, I just can't seem to convince it that I'm allowed to change things in it!

Russjb
Level 2

Just for interest, I also tried to add it as a proxy FTP (See attached screenshot) but still no luck

Russjb
Level 2

Well, it looks like I've ended up solving my own problem.

Apparently, the Huawei router doesn't like Macs. I tried redormatting the USB storage as NTFS and now, everything works fine. Interesting that when the drive was formatted for Mac, I couldn't change anything from my iMac but when formatted for a PC, it works.

Go figure.