TPG Community

Get online support

Configuring Orbi RBK23 with Sagemcom 5G Modem

SOLVED Go to solution
androidean
Level 2

Hi, 

I have just received my 5G Sagemcom modem and am moving from NBN to 5G. I have been using my Orbi RBK23 Router connected directly to the NBN modem prior to this. I would like to continue using my Orbi mesh WiFi and have it acquire the internet from the 5G modem. I cannot find any instructions on how to reconfigure my Orbi router. I have seen some messages saying disable DHCP, ensure its not setup as an Access Point and Bridging is not used (all of which is disabled, but since disabling the DHCP and connecting to the LAN port on the Sagemcom, I have been unable to get any internet access. I changed the default subnet on the the Sagemcom as the Orbi was already using 192.168.1.1. I also disabled the 'Internet Connection Credentials' as they were needed for the NBN connectivity through another supplier, but its not needed for 5G. I can connect to the Sagemcom using its own WiFi signal, but the LAN connection to my Orbi does not want to play nice. What else am I forgetting to configure? Any help would be appreciated. 

Cheers.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
david64
Level 15

Hi @androidean . I think with the Sagemcom you can only use the Orbi as an access point.

Select ADVANCED > Advanced Setup > Router/AP Mode. Select the AP Mode radio button.

You can have the Orbi get an ip address from the Sagemcom dynamic pool, or assign Orbi a fixed ip address outside the dynamic pool of the Sagemcom (helpful when you need to login to it).

The Orbi WAN port connects to the Sagemcom LAN port.

You can disable the Sagemcom wifi if you want.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
david64
Level 15

Hi @androidean . I think with the Sagemcom you can only use the Orbi as an access point.

Select ADVANCED > Advanced Setup > Router/AP Mode. Select the AP Mode radio button.

You can have the Orbi get an ip address from the Sagemcom dynamic pool, or assign Orbi a fixed ip address outside the dynamic pool of the Sagemcom (helpful when you need to login to it).

The Orbi WAN port connects to the Sagemcom LAN port.

You can disable the Sagemcom wifi if you want.

androidean
Level 2
Legend! Works with no issues, should have asked the question earlier in the day. Thanks @david64. Hope this can help others.
If I disable the wifi on the Sagemcom (both 2.4 GHz and 5GHz), I assume I can only get to the settings/admin via ethernet - there is no back door thru the Orbi? Might leave one enabled as newer laptops are missing the Lan port.
Thanks!
david64
Level 15

@androidean . If you assign a static ip to Orbi, you can access the admin of either unit from Orbi ethernet and wifi by putting the appropriate ip address in the browser.

Leaving Sagemcom wifi on might interfere with Orbi wifi.