TPG Community

Get online support

Connecting two TP-link devices to NBN box to create both LAN and Wifi network with the 2nd device to expand wifi network

SOLVED Go to solution
nlau
Level 2

Hi,

Advice is needed for (1) connecting one Tp-link device in the communication box to utilise the pre-wired Ethernet cable connection to create a LAN throughout the house and a wifi network as well, and (2) using the second Tp-link device to expand the wifi network.

Modem models:

Tp-link Archer c1200 (old device)

Tp-link Archer vr1600v (new device)

My NBN box and communication box are located in basement. The communication box has pre-wired Ethernet cables connecting to various rooms in the house. However, strength of signal from basement to other areas in the house is weak due to construction materials used in the basement. Hence, I need a second device to boost the wifi signal.

Please advice which device should be used for respective connection above and how each device be configured.  My knowledge in this area is very limited. 

Thank you for your help in advance.

Kind regards,

Nelson

4 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
david64
Level 15

Hi @nlau . You have a C1200 router; I assume you have FTTP.

Does your house have a second floor or just basement and ground floor?

Is there any need for having internet access in the basement?

Do you want to use the TPG VOIP phone service?

Are there any rooms in the house with 2 ethernet outlets? Or the rooms only have 1 outlet going to basement?

In basement, connect C1200 to NBN box. It provides wifi and ethernet to basement.

Decide where to put the VR1600 on ground floor; somewhere central. Use your mobile phone to check the signal strength on ground floor for best position. Or, you may want to have ethernet devices connected to it which may not be in best position. Connect a cable from C1200 LAN port to the socket in communications box for the location of VR1600. Connect cable to LAN port of VR1600.

Change VR1600 config. Change its LAN IP address to 192.168.1.2 (assuming C1200 is 192.168.1.1) and disable DHCP. VR1600 provides wifi and 3 ethernet ports.

If you have a second floor and the VR1600 wifi doesn't reach, you could use a cabled extender. Another cable from C1200 into socket in comms box for the extender location and ethernet cable into extender.

View solution in original post

david64
Level 15

@nlau .

The VOIP phone service is the bundled NBN phone service.
Do you have a telephone cable connected to a UNI-V port on the NBN box? The phone connection can be carried through an ethernet cable to the comms box. You plug corded or cordless phone into ethernet port and use telephone cable to NBN box UNI-V port.
How is the wifi coverage on the second floor from VR1600? You could use a cabled extender connected to third port on C1200.

1) You can change the SSID names of the VR1600 to match the C1200. You would then have a 2.4G band and a 5G band in the whole house. For 2.4G band, set the channel number to a different value on each router (1 or 6 or 11). Idea is to be able to go between C1200 and VR1600 without having to reconnect. Having separate names means you can allocate different devices to one SSID or the other.
2) In this method, connect to VR1600 LAN port. There may be particular settings that would allow you to use the VR1600 WAN port.
3) OK since VR1600 has not been able to connect using the WAN port; it's not connected. A device connected to one router should be able to connect to the admin of the other router.
4) You can put them in but they won't do anything.

david64
Level 15

@nlau . The Deco is rather expensive because you only want it as an access point. Most of its router features won't be used. A cheaper router-only unit might be better value. Configure as 192.168.1.3 and disable DHCP. Connect to its LAN port.  Set the 2.4G wifi channel to different values on each router (1 and 6 and 11).

You want one that does both bands and has gigabit ethernet ports; they generally do.

nlau
Level 2

Hi @david64,

Thank you for your advice.  The network is working great using your suggested setting. 

Cheers,

Nelson

6 REPLIES 6
david64
Level 15

Hi @nlau . You have a C1200 router; I assume you have FTTP.

Does your house have a second floor or just basement and ground floor?

Is there any need for having internet access in the basement?

Do you want to use the TPG VOIP phone service?

Are there any rooms in the house with 2 ethernet outlets? Or the rooms only have 1 outlet going to basement?

In basement, connect C1200 to NBN box. It provides wifi and ethernet to basement.

Decide where to put the VR1600 on ground floor; somewhere central. Use your mobile phone to check the signal strength on ground floor for best position. Or, you may want to have ethernet devices connected to it which may not be in best position. Connect a cable from C1200 LAN port to the socket in communications box for the location of VR1600. Connect cable to LAN port of VR1600.

Change VR1600 config. Change its LAN IP address to 192.168.1.2 (assuming C1200 is 192.168.1.1) and disable DHCP. VR1600 provides wifi and 3 ethernet ports.

If you have a second floor and the VR1600 wifi doesn't reach, you could use a cabled extender. Another cable from C1200 into socket in comms box for the extender location and ethernet cable into extender.

nlau
Level 2

Hi @david64,

Thank you for your advice.  Much appreciated. 

My house has a second floor and there is need for internet access in the basement. I am not using TPG VOIP phone service, just the normal phone service as part of the NBN bundle.  Each room only has 1 outlet going to the communication box in the basement. 

I have connected the devices as per your advice and now have a wifi network with 2 SSID. I am currently using two C1200 LAN ports - port#1 for connecting to VR1600 and port#2 for connecting to a smart TV. 

I would like to check if I have connected the devices properly.  Below please find a few additional queries:

(1) is it normal to have 2 SSIDs instead of 1 SSID under your suggested setting?

(2) you suggested connecting a cable from Ethernet outlet to LAN port of VR1600 - please confirm not to connect the cable to the blue WAN port;

(3) I notice the VR1600 home page (192.168.1.2) shows a red cross next to the internet icon - please confirm if this is ok;

(4) is it correct that I still need to input TPG account username and password in the internet setup section of the VR1600?

Once again, thank you very much for your help.

Kind regards,

Nelson

david64
Level 15

@nlau .

The VOIP phone service is the bundled NBN phone service.
Do you have a telephone cable connected to a UNI-V port on the NBN box? The phone connection can be carried through an ethernet cable to the comms box. You plug corded or cordless phone into ethernet port and use telephone cable to NBN box UNI-V port.
How is the wifi coverage on the second floor from VR1600? You could use a cabled extender connected to third port on C1200.

1) You can change the SSID names of the VR1600 to match the C1200. You would then have a 2.4G band and a 5G band in the whole house. For 2.4G band, set the channel number to a different value on each router (1 or 6 or 11). Idea is to be able to go between C1200 and VR1600 without having to reconnect. Having separate names means you can allocate different devices to one SSID or the other.
2) In this method, connect to VR1600 LAN port. There may be particular settings that would allow you to use the VR1600 WAN port.
3) OK since VR1600 has not been able to connect using the WAN port; it's not connected. A device connected to one router should be able to connect to the admin of the other router.
4) You can put them in but they won't do anything.

nlau
Level 2

Thanks @david64.

The signal strength on the 2nd floor is a bit weak in certain areas.

When I searched for an extender today, I saw TP-Link AX1800 deco x20.  Information on the box is limited. Would you know if this deco device works with any of my router?  If so, could I connect it to C1200 via Ethernet cable as per your suggested method in your previous post?

Thanks,

Nelson

david64
Level 15

@nlau . The Deco is rather expensive because you only want it as an access point. Most of its router features won't be used. A cheaper router-only unit might be better value. Configure as 192.168.1.3 and disable DHCP. Connect to its LAN port.  Set the 2.4G wifi channel to different values on each router (1 and 6 and 11).

You want one that does both bands and has gigabit ethernet ports; they generally do.

nlau
Level 2

Hi @david64,

Thank you for your advice.  The network is working great using your suggested setting. 

Cheers,

Nelson