TPG Community

Get online support

Device name Showing unknown

aqkhana
Level 2

using NBN with TP-LINK Router supplied by TPG , Archer VR1600v v2 00000000 . device itself is very bad.

here is my problem and hope TPG can solve it.

i have parental control setup and i have added devices in it. if i want to use Access Control and add device into blacklist which is in parental control the access control does not work, i have to remove device from parental control or have to disbale parental control. i do not want to spend time to every time add and remove devices.

.2 well in my routher i have many devices have name "UNKNOWN" i have one unknow device into Access Control blacklist and now i am adding another device which name is also "UNKNOWN" its saying its already exist , and there is no way i can change device name , although evey unknow device have different i.p address and mac address.

i am totally pissed of with this routher every day a new problem which i can not solve. 

AQEEL

2 REPLIES 2
BasilDV

Hi @aqkhana

Welcome to the Community!

We tried to locate your account using your community details to no avail.

Have you set up a static IP address with your devices? If yes, have you tried to factory reset your modem/router and reconfigure the parental control again?

Please send me a PM with your TPG username or customer ID number to check on this further.

BasilDV

aqkhana
Level 2

i am an i.t professional , and i know what i was doing i have done all the necessary changes need in router, even i have contacted with TP-Link and they told me because its custom firmware so they are not taking care of it i have to talk with TPG. here is my account name : XXXXXXX and hope you will find it. why would i need static i.p address ?? when i have mac address? forget static or mac, what you can do is to test it , put two device on your network and make sure your router should not get device name and its should called UNKNOWN and try to add them in SECURITY/ACCESS CONTROL. 

for my 2nd problem , create parental control on device and then add the same device into SECURITY.ACCESS CONTROL and you will surprice even tho adding device in your ACCESS CONTROL (BLACK LIST) this devce acess your internet. and if you let your device in ACCESS CONTROL and delete from parental control your device will be block otherwise no.

AQEEL