TPG Community

Get online support

Does 5G Home Broadband also use NBN connection

SOLVED Go to solution
tasalexei
Level 2

Hi There,

I have 2 days left before my NBN50 is turned off.

I am looking to understand if my 5G Home Broadband uses only 5G to connect or if it will work with both 5G and the NBN connection?

My doubt: I have connected the 5G modem to the NBN and I get 100+mbps, but when I remove the NBN cable I am down to about 7mbps. After my NBN50 is disconnected will I still have the 100+ or will it be more like the 7mbps?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
david64
Master

Hi @tasalexei . The 5G modem/router you received from TPG (still a Sagemcom?) has been configured to use only 5G. Your ethernet computer and wifi devices must connect to it. 

During the trial, you can do comparative tests between the NBN and 5GWB, and you get a better indication using your ethernet computer, connected to your old wifi router or the 5G modem/router.

You can't connect the 5G modem/router to the NBN router. I can't guess how that might be working.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
BasilDV

Hi @tasalexei

The 5G home broadband will only use the 5G signal available in your location.

The 5G HB and the NBN are different technology and uses different infrastructure.

BasilDV

david64
Master

Hi @tasalexei . The 5G modem/router you received from TPG (still a Sagemcom?) has been configured to use only 5G. Your ethernet computer and wifi devices must connect to it. 

During the trial, you can do comparative tests between the NBN and 5GWB, and you get a better indication using your ethernet computer, connected to your old wifi router or the 5G modem/router.

You can't connect the 5G modem/router to the NBN router. I can't guess how that might be working.

tasalexei
Level 2

@BasilDV thank you for your quick and accurate comments. This helps to clarify for me.

tasalexei
Level 2

@david64 thank you. Yes, I now understand. 

I just disconnected the NBN cable and it made no difference to speed. It is all now clear to me.

BasilDV

You're welcome, @tasalexei.

Cheers!