TPG Community

Get online support

Does TPG throttle XBOX downloads?

Shane

Thanks for the additional details @johnmcgirr1296.

Please also post the speed test result using the mobile data for additional reference. Send me your best contact number and preferred time we'll have one of our Technicians contact you for real-time test and investigation.

How do I private message (PM) in the community

Regards, 

johnmcgirr1296
Level 3
There’s no point in a technician ringing or doing any tests, because it’s the xbox downloads that are being throttled because I’m not the only one going through through it judging by other people’s threads regarding this on TPG community page. I spend $89 a month just so I can have a stable and realiable Internet connection hence I went through TPG and I have no issues other than the only problem I have is the actual xbox downloads themselves, can stream and watch Netflix/Stan/YouTube all in HD and all via the xbox itself no problems whatsoever but as soon as there’s an update or if I’m downloading games/ apps the speeds sits terribly low. I just wanna know if the Xbox downloads have been throttled and if so why, as that’s what I mainly do with the internet as that’s why I originally went through TPG because of a quality service reliable speeds/connection ect, but I can download off my PC with no issues off my phone with no issues all connected via my modem with TPG but the moment I start any xbox download or update the speeds drop down and average 300Kbps-2Mbps. 11 hours to download 21.30GB on a speed connection of around 85Mbps down and 25Mbps up, just doesn’t seem right considering I can download Netflix videos on my phone at top speed.
Shane

TPG do not throttle the speed of any game console. The speed test result of Game Console is the measurement of your connection (at home) going to Game Console's Server. It is not the actual speed of your service.

Our initial test result shows no fault that can cause download speed issue with the game console, since all devices are getting a good connection speed on the network this could be an isolated case that requires further test and investigation to identify what causing this issue.

I'll wait for your contact details.

Regards,, 

There’s no point in a technician ringing or doing any tests, because it’s the xbox downloads that are being throttled because I’m not the only one going through through it judging by other people’s threads regarding this on TPG community page. I spend $89 a month just so I can have a stable and realiable Internet connection hence I went through TPG and I have no issues other than the only problem I have is the actual xbox downloads themselves, can stream and watch Netflix/Stan/YouTube all in HD and all via the xbox itself no problems whatsoever but as soon as there’s an update or if I’m downloading games/ apps the speeds sits terribly low. I just wanna know if the Xbox downloads have been throttled and if so why, as that’s what I mainly do with the internet as that’s why I originally went through TPG because of a quality service reliable speeds/connection ect, but I can download off my PC with no issues off my phone with no issues all connected via my modem with TPG but the moment I start any xbox download or update the speeds drop down and average 300Kbps-2Mbps. 11 hours to download 21.30GB on a speed connection of around 85Mbps down and 25Mbps up, just doesn’t seem right considering I can download Netflix videos on my phone at top speed.
Ammmon
Level 2
I have the same issue. Can play online fine, speediest.net connected via wifi always shows high download speeds of 60mb + but Xbox games download inconsistently (connected via Ethernet or wifi) . Most of the time they sit at 500kbps to 1mb, sometimes it jumps to 10mb for a few seconds and sometimes up to 40mb or more but quickly returns to 500kbps for most of the download.
Ammmon
Level 2
I was reading another forum on this issue and they pointed to TPG's DNS. I just changed my Xbox DNS to Google's 8.8.8.8 then restarted my Xbox and it's been consistently better for the last 10 minutes (70mb+). Will report back if it drops again.
Shane

Hi @Ammmon,

We're glad to know that using Google's DNS server improved the transfer rate of the XBOX. Let us know how it will go. Cheers!

Regards,

I was reading another forum on this issue and they pointed to TPG's DNS. I just changed my Xbox DNS to Google's 8.8.8.8 then restarted my Xbox and it's been consistently better for the last 10 minutes (70mb+). Will report back if it drops again.
Andy1991
Level 2

This is certainly not an isolated issue. I have been having the same issue for months now. The amount of time and money I have spent trying to overcome is ridiculous. From what I can see no solutions are being offered so thinking it may be time for a new ISP. 

PeterB
Level 2

Same old same old issue with TPG, I suffer the same slow download speeds on the xbox whilst my next door neighbour using Aussie Broadband is getting top download speeds. 

Riezl

Hi @Andy1991 and @PeterB, please send us a private message with your TPG customer ID, username and complete address so we can pull up the account.

To send a PM, please refer to this link: How do I private message (PM) in the community

jac281194
Level 2

I have the same problem, but found that if you connect your xbox through a VPN it should download as expected, but you shouldn't have to use a VPN for your service to work as it should. Also downloading through windows store has the same problem that a VPN can fix