TPG Community

Get online support

HG659 layer2 bridging not working

jmeister
Level 2

Hey folks,

Bit of a curly one.

I manage IT for a business in a shared office with a HG659 providing connection via FTTB.

The other company in the shared sapce only uses the wifi and voip.

Both businesses need to be separated hence using a Cisco RV345 and providing a separate subnet off that for our machines.

Our Cisco RV345 router is ethernet connected to LAN3 and 4 to the cisco WAN1/2 ports.

Have set layer2bridging on LAN3/4 but doesnt seem to be passing port requests down to our subnet.

Tried DMZ/port forwarding etc all to no avail.

The HG659 is standard 192.168.1.1 and serving DHCP to its network (the other side of the office)

The RV345 somehow is connecting as 192.168.3.2/24 on the HG659 side - shown under the RV345 WAN Settings.

PCs on our LAN which is 192.168.4.* can connect direct to Huawei interface on 192.1678.3.1

And our LAN side is 192.168.4.*

All our devices on VLAN2 untagged ports

Running tracert from one of opur PC's first goes to the cisco gateway, then to the HG659 gateway rather than straight out even though going to 'whatsmyip' shows the correct public IP.

Ultimately trying to access custom ports on a NAS from outside the office.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Cheers

8 REPLIES 8
Shane

Hi @jmeister ,

We raised this to our Engineering Team to confirm if our supplied modem/router can support Layer2 Briding, we'll provide you an update when it becomes available.

Regards,

jmeister
Level 2

Hey thanks heaps for that Shane, much appreciated.

The menu on the GUI allowed me to set it quite precisely- but whether it's actually supported or not is another thing I guess.

Cheers

J

PS Attached the relevant screen - LAN3 and LAN4 are connected to the Cisco RV345 router

jmeister
Level 2

Hey @Shane , any word back on this?

Thanks mate

BasilDV

Hi @jmeister

Our Team will need to look into your network diagram as there should be no problem in setting this up.

Please send me the details via PM for us to forward it for assessment.

BasilDV

jmeister
Level 2

Hey much thanks Basil, will do

J

jmeister
Level 2

Any joy here Basil ? It's causing a lot more issues now as we cannot use RTRR sync 

Cheers

Jerry

BasilDV

Hi @jmeister

We are still waiting for the update from our Network Engineers.

We'll provide you with the updates as soon as it becomes available.

BasilDV

jmeister
Level 2

Hey Basil, thanks for your PM and the engineers notes saying this just wont work with a residential connection and to upgrade to business.

So, I called business as you suggested and they said they can upgrade me to business plan and give me a static IP. Is this going to fix the issue of the DMZ/bridging not working properly or 2 PPPoE sessions ? Just not sure how only changing to static IP is going to change things ?