TPG Community

Get online support

How do I turn my Archer VR1600v into a modem only instead of being a modem/router.

SOLVED Go to solution
jordanoldfield
Level 2

I want to turn my Archer VR1600v standard issue modem/router into a modem only. The reason for this is because i have recently purchased a Asus TUF-5400 gaming router and want to use that as my router, rather than the Archer VR1600v. It is important for gaming with my Oculus Quest 2 air link that i can get a solid 5Ghz network between oculus and PC for wireless gaming.

Long story short - is there a way I can turn the Archer VR1600v into a modem only and use the new Asus TUF-5400 Gaming router as my sole router?

Any help much appreciated. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
david64
Level 15

@jordanoldfield . The Archer can be loosely called a modem since it is now doing the interface to the telephone line. In bridge mode, all routing functions are disabled.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
david64
Level 15

Hi @jordanoldfield . What type of NBN connection do you have? You might be able to use the Asus without the Archer.

jordanoldfield
Level 2

Hi @david64 ,

It is FTTN and WAN connection is PPPoe. Does that help?

david64
Level 15

@jordanoldfield . The Asus settings are PPPoE, username + @tpg.com.au and password.

To put Archer in bridge mode, basically delete the DSL connection with vlan id 2 and add new connection.

https://community.tpg.com.au/t5/Modems-and-Devices/Archer-vr1600v-bridge-mode-Totally-confused/m-p/1...

jordanoldfield
Level 2

@david64  does bridge mode mean the TP link archer modem/router will become modem only or is bridge mode another method again?

david64
Level 15

@jordanoldfield . The Archer can be loosely called a modem since it is now doing the interface to the telephone line. In bridge mode, all routing functions are disabled.

jordanoldfield
Level 2

@david64 Thankyou so much for your help and referal to other similar post. i will use that post you sent a link of as a means to achieve bridge mode.