TPG Community

Get online support

[How to] Set-up of TP-Link AX1800 Wi-Fi 6 Router

Moby45
Level 2

I was tired of the weak little tplink white router TPG gives us with our NBN plan so I upgraded to the TP-Link AX1800. It wasn't as plug and play as expected and a lot of people here seem to be asking the same question.

I have the NBN type that has a cable coming out of the wall connected to the little NBN black box. I then have the ethernet cable from the NBN black box to the WAN port on the AX1800 (the blue one).

This is what you have to do to get it to work.

1. Plug everything as above, connect to the AX1800 via Wifi or ethernet using the tag underneath the unit and go to http://tplinkwifi.net/ (or 192.168.0.1 , same thing)
  2. When they ask you to do the "quick setup", skip it and you should land on the homepage of the router that has 'Network Map', 'Internet', 'Wireless' and 'Advanced' at the top. Got to Advanced
  3. Under Network on the left, click on 'Internet'. Set connection type to PPPoE. Enter your tpg username and password (don't forget to add @TPG.com.au after your username). Same details as the ones you use to access your account online. Click Connect.
  4. Now go to IPTV/VLAN (on the left). It should be enabled, if not, tick the box. Set the 'Mode' to 'Custom'. This is important, it won't work if you select 'Australian NBN' (you'd think they'd make it easy, right? Nop.). Set your Internet VLAN ID to 2. Set your VoIP VLAN ID to 3. Set your IPTV VLAN ID to 4.
  5. Go to 'Wireless'. Set your own network name and password. (Security should be already set to WPA/WPA2-Personal). Don't forget to reconnect your device to your new network once you set that up.

That should be it! Thank you.

8 REPLIES 8
Shane

Hey, Moby45

Thanks for sharing this to us, this is a huge help to other community users that is planning to use a 3rd party modem/router.

Cheers!

I was tired of the weak little tplink white router TPG gives us with our NBN plan so I upgraded to the TP-Link AX1800. It wasn't as plug and play as expected and a lot of people here seem to be asking the same question.

I have the NBN type that has a cable coming out of the wall connected to the little NBN black box. I then have the ethernet cable from the NBN black box to the WAN port on the AX1800 (the blue one).

1. Plug everything as above, connect to the AX1800 via Wifi or ethernet using the tag underneath the unit and go to http://tplinkwifi.net/ (or 192.168.0.1 , same thing)
  2. When they ask you to do the "quick setup", skip it and you should land on the homepage of the router that has 'Network Map', 'Internet', 'Wireless' and 'Advanced' at the top. Got to Advanced
  3. Under Network on the left, click on 'Internet'. Set connection type to PPPoE. Enter your tpg username and password (don't forget to add @TPG.com.au after your username). Same details as the ones you use to access your account online. Click Connect.
  4. Now go to IPTV/VLAN (on the left). It should be enabled, if not, tick the box. Set the 'Mode' to 'Custom'. This is important, it won't work if you select 'Australian NBN' (you'd think they'd make it easy, right? Nop.). Set your Internet VLAN ID to 2. Set your VoIP VLAN ID to 3. Set your IPTV VLAN ID to 4.
  5. Go to 'Wireless'. Set your own network name and password. (Security should be already set to WPA/WPA2-Personal). Don't forget to reconnect your device to your new network once you set that up.

Sidog1980
Level 2

Thanks, I followed these steps and had my AX1800 set up in minutes.

Grasmo
Level 2

I followed your instructions but still failed to connect to NBN.

Do you have any further advice?

Thanks

Grasmo

@Moby45 wrote:

BasilDV

Hi @Grasmo

We'd like to check on this further and see if there's a missing piece on the configuration you've tried.

Shoot me a PM with your TPG username or customer ID number.

BasilDV

Grasmo
Level 2
I sent the PM. Did you get it?
Grasmo
Level 2
Not sure why you need all that private information. You already have my email address.

Why do you need more to answer a technical question?
Grasmo
Level 2
Not sure why you need all that private information. You already have my email address.

Why do you need more to answer a technical question?
aaronxyz
Level 2

Thanks @Moby45 , i might need some extra guidance to get my AX1800 router mode working, i connected my AX1800 unit directly to the NBN HFC box, then i followed all your instruction but still got AX1800 RED at the end of the process after setting up the Wi Fi, seems the TPG authentication didnt get through despite i have added @TPG.com.au after my username? much appreciated if you could share some ideas of how i can set up the router mode.

btw my AX1800 works fine as access point via the router from TPG so far.

Thanks in advance