TPG Community

Get online support

How to reset a TP-Link VX420-G2V with NBN FTTP and change to bridging mode to connect with a Google Nest

rhenshaw1
Level 2

I had a setup that was working fine before trying to connect a Google Nest mesh to improve range and strength but have done something wrong when trying to change to bridge mode to accommodate the Google gear - also have an Arlo network that I want to connect

Any assistance would be greatlhy appreciated

Thanks Rob

3 REPLIES 3
david64
Level 15

Hi @rhenshaw1 . With FTTP, the router does not need to support VLAN ID, so you can connect the Google router directly to the FTTP box. Configure PPPoE and your username and password.

The Google router only has one LAN port so you could get a 5-port switch to connect computers,  etc, or, set the VX420 as an access point.

If the VX has a specific setting for Access Point mode, you might be able to connect its WAN port to Google LAN port.

Otherwise, disable its DHCP and give it a LAN ip address like 192.168.1.2, and connect a LAN port to Google LAN port. You can also disable VX wifi if you only want the Google wifi.

Regarding the Arlo, is this a home CCTV setup. What model is it? Do the cameras stream to a recording unit on home network, or do you view them remotely?

rhenshaw1
Level 2

David64

Thank you for your detailed reply.

Here is a little more information.

I have an NBN box in the garage connected to a Netgear GS 108 Gigabit Switch, also in the garage.

In my home office I have a modem line and data return line RJ45 type outlets.

The modem line is connected to the WAN port on the modem.

The data return line is connected to the Lan1 port on the modem.

The Arlo VM 5000 wireless hub is connected to Lan3 port on the modem – not on a subscription service and data is captured locally on an SD card – 4 x Arlo Pro4 cameras wireless cameras plus a door bell camera and Chime 2 are all connected wirelessly to the Arlo hub – they can be viewed remotely on my Iphone through the Arlo App.

The Google Nest is connected to Lan 4 port on the modem.- it is a master plus 2 other access points.

The following is what I think I did when trying to change the VX420 from modem router to bridging mode:-

In 192.168.1.1 I clicked on Advanced, Network and then DSL and then did something wrong and ended up with thee screen below which I cant now modify.

I did copy the settings for PPPoe_8_35_2  8/35 before I stuffed up

Does that help at all

Thanks Rob

Internet Connections

Top of Form

Refresh

Add

Delete All

WAN Interface Name

VPI/VCI or VID

Status

Operation

Modify

pppoe_ptm_0_4

N/A

DSL Disabled

Connect

br_ptm_3_2

DSL Disabled

Connect

Bottom of Form

Sent: Saturday, 5 November 2022 7:54 AM
To: Rob Henshaw <rob@orgaus.com.au>
Subject: david64 mentioned you in TPG Community

Hi rhenshaw1,

david64 (Level 14) mentioned you in a post! Join the conversation below:

Re: How to reset a TP-Link VX420-G2V with NBN FTTP and change to bridging mode to connect with a Goo...

Hi @rhenshaw1 . With FTTP, the router does not need to support VLAN ID, so you can connect the Google router directly to the FTTP box. Configure PPPoE and your username and password.

The Google router only has one LAN port so you could get a 5-port switch to connect computers,  etc, or, set the VX420 as an access point.

If the VX has a specific setting for Access Point mode, you might be able to connect its WAN port to Google LAN port.

Otherwise, disable its DHCP and give it a LAN ip address like 192.168.1.2, and connect a LAN port to Google LAN port. You can also disable VX wifi if you only want the Google wifi.

Regarding the Arlo, is this a home CCTV setup. What model is it? Do the cameras stream to a recording unit on home network, or do you view them remotely?

david64
Level 15

@rhenshaw1 . Regarding bridging, anything with 8 and 35 in it relates to an ADSL connection. PTM relates to FTTB/FTTN connection. These use the RJ11 telephone connector on the VX. Bridging is not relevant to the other types of NBN connections.

Like to suggest a different arrangement but you may have restrictions on where cables run in your house.

FTTP box in garage. Cable to Google router in home office (PPPoE, username, password). Cable from Google LAN port to GS switch.

Ethernet computers, etc, and Arlo hub connect to switch.

The Arlo hub should be given a fixed local ip address on Google router outside DHCP dynamic range.

Setup Dynamic DNS so you can access your home network remotely using a hostname rather than WAN ip address.

You might want to limit the Arlo wifi devices to use the 2.4G network and keep the Google 5G wifi network for computers/tablets. Or, have 2.4G active on both but use different channels (choose between 1 and 6, or 6 and 11, or 1 and 11 ro reduce interference).

VX router is not needed at this point. Factory reset gets it back to standard.