TPG Community

Get online support

How to set up your TP-Link VR1600v modem

Krystle
Community Manager

TP-Link VR1600v modem

NBN service setup and and modem configuration

If you are using a TP-Link VX420-G2v or TP-Link VX420-G2H modem/router, please visit Setup and Configuration for TP-Link VX420-G2v modem/router  and Setup and Configuration for TP-Link VX420-G2H modem/router.

This article provides modem setup advice for NBN services to get you up and running in just a few simple steps;

Modem physical setup - NBN FTTN/FTTB Wireless and NBN HFC

image.png

Modem physical setup - NBN FTTP

modem Fttp.PNG

1. Depending on your NBN connection type, connect one of the following;

• 1a. If there is no NBN Connection Box installed, Connect the DSL port on the back of your router to your phone wall socket
  • 1b. If there is an NBN Connection Box installed, Connect the WAN port on the back of your router to your NBN Connection Box

2. Connect the Phone 1 port on the back of your router to your telephone handset

3. Connect any of the 4 LAN ports on the back of your router to your PC

4. Connect the Power port on the back of your router to your power socket

Wait for NBN activation

Note: If you get your modem from TPG, you are not required to configure your modem as all necessary settings will be pushed to your modem automatically.

image.png

Once you receive confirmation from TPG that your NBN service is active, turn on your router and leave it for up to 30 minutes as your router is retrieving and saving the required settings from TPG to connect automatically. When this is completed, the Internet light on the front of your router will become solid green.

Manually configuring modem (If required)

Note: If you get your modem from TPG, you are not required to configure your modem as all necessary settings will be pushed to your modem automatically. The instructions below can be used in case you need to manually configure your modem.

For NBN FTTN & NBN FTTB

1.pngA. Open your browser and in the address bar type http://192.168.1.1 and press Enter 

B. Enter admin for both the username and password and click Login. If you have changed the login credentials, please enter the current username and password for your modem interface.

2.pngC. You will see the home screen shown on the right. Click the Advanced tab. 

3.pngD. On the menu on the left side of the page,

click Network to expand the menu and then click DSL.

4.pngE. Click the Edit button on pppoe_ptm_2_0_d. 

5.pngF. Enter your TPG Username and Password. Click Save

6.png G.  Click the Basic tab                 

7.pngH. On the menu on the left side of the page, click Wireless.  

I. You can change your Wi-Fi details or keep the default settings. The default Wi-Fi SSID (network name) is WiFi-xxxx (xxxx is a random 4 digit alphanumeric code printed on the sticker underneath your modem). By default, the Wi-Fi password is printed on a sticker underneath your modem (Wireless Password/Key). Click Save

Setup complete!

For NBN FTTP, NBN HFC & NBN Fixed Wireless

8.pngA. Open your browser and in the address bar type http://192.168.1.1 and press Enter. 

B. Enter admin for both the username and password and click Login. If you have changed the login credentials, please enter the current username and password for your modem interface. 

9.pngC. You will see the home screen shown on the right. Click the Advanced tab.

10.pngD. On the menu on the left side of the page, click Network to expand the menu and then click EWAN

11.pngE. Enter your TPG Username and Password. Click Save

12.png F. Click the Basic tab. 

12.pngG. On the menu on the left side of the page, click Wireless

13.png I. You can change your Wi-Fi details or keep the default settings. The default Wi-Fi SSID (network name) is WiFi-xxxx (xxxx is a random 4 digit alphanumeric code printed on the sticker underneath your modem). By default, the Wi-Fi password is printed on a sticker underneath your modem (Wireless Password/Key). Click Save

Setup complete!

Wi-Fi setup

Note: If you get your modem from TPG, you are not required to configure your modem as all necessary settings will be pushed to your modem automatically.

1. Make sure that wireless (Wi-Fi) is enabled on your devices.

2. Using your wireless device, scan the wireless networks and select the network called WiFi-XXXX (XXXX is a random 4 digit alpha numeric code). You can also select the network WiFi-XXXX-5G if you wish to connect to 5GHz network which offers faster Wi-Fi speed (if your device supports it).

3. Enter the Security Key. By default, the security key can be found printed on the barcode sticker on the underside of the router. 

image.png

14 REPLIES 14
timmoore805
Level 2

Hi, are there any configuration instructions for setting up VOIP telephone?

I have recently installed a replacement modem and now telephone is not working. FTTN NBN.

Thanks

timmoore805
Level 2

In admin console, under network:

Telephone Status: Telephone service unavailable. Please check your account settings or register a new number.

AnnettReynolds
Level 2
Thanks for the directions I have now internet
costa_68
Level 2

thanks for the information.

Ive tried all of this and im still not getting connected to the internet.

can you please advise if there is any other settings that i need to change on the modem.

i have a tp-link vr600v.

cslraju
Level 2

This modem doesn't support special characters for the password. Can I use other modems that supports special characters? Or better yet, is there any firmware update for the router where special characters are implemented.

Peterdb
Level 3

I recently tried to upgrade from my TPG HG659 modem.to an Archer TP-Link VR1600v modem

I set it up Ok as these instructions are here in this post  and the Internet all works fine and so does the wifi BUT when I connect my home phone line (into port 1) the home phone does not work.

Can anyone help ?

Shane

Hi @Peterdb,

We'd love to help get to the bottom of this. Please send me your account details (Username/Customer ID together with the address on file).

For reference:

How do I private message (PM) in the community

Regards,

I recently tried to upgrade from my TPG HG659 modem.to an Archer TP-Link VR1600v modem

I set it up Ok as these instructions are here in this post  and the Internet all works fine and so does the wifi BUT when I connect my home phone line (into port 1) the home phone does not work.

Can anyone help ?

alanilakkiya
Level 2

I have appointment today 27/01/2021 at 1 pm to 5pm, I'm waiting this whole day. No one come here and no working internet.. I'm waiting for the internet from 2 months. So Disappointed.

BasilDV

Hi @alanilakkiya

Thanks for raising this with us and we apologise for the inconvenience.

We'll chase this with our NBN service delivery team and a case manager will be in touch with you as soon as an update becomes available.

BasilDV